GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawns -- advice for warm season grass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/54645-lawns-advice-warm-season-grass.html)

Jeff 06-03-2004 11:17 AM

Lawns -- advice for warm season grass

My backyard gets little to no shade, faces due South, and has generally
proven difficult to grow fescue grass in.

Any advice for starting a nice, warm-season grass (centipede or
similar)? Is it better to go with sod, sprigs, or seed?

Thanks in advance,
-jeff

06-03-2004 04:32 PM

Lawns -- advice for warm season grass

sod will be quickest - the sod farms are down in goldsboro, so if you have a
trailer or a truck you can go down and pick it up saving yourself some big
bucks

plugs the slowest

seed will also be quick but the seed is very very small

good luck
"Jeff" wrote in message
. com...
My backyard gets little to no shade, faces due South, and has generally
proven difficult to grow fescue grass in.

Any advice for starting a nice, warm-season grass (centipede or
similar)? Is it better to go with sod, sprigs, or seed?

Thanks in advance,
-jeff

06-03-2004 04:48 PM

Lawns -- advice for warm season grass

sod will be quickest - the sod farms are down in goldsboro, so if you have a
trailer or a truck you can go down and pick it up saving yourself some big
bucks

plugs the slowest

seed will also be quick but the seed is very very small

good luck
"Jeff" wrote in message
. com...
My backyard gets little to no shade, faces due South, and has generally
proven difficult to grow fescue grass in.

Any advice for starting a nice, warm-season grass (centipede or
similar)? Is it better to go with sod, sprigs, or seed?

Thanks in advance,
-jeff

06-03-2004 05:39 PM

Lawns -- advice for warm season grass

sod will be quickest - the sod farms are down in goldsboro, so if you have a
trailer or a truck you can go down and pick it up saving yourself some big
bucks

plugs the slowest

seed will also be quick but the seed is very very small

good luck
. com...

Doc Muhlbaier 11-03-2004 07:27 PM

Lawns -- advice for warm season grass

You might also consider Zoysia; it is much more drought tolerant than
Bermuda and makes a beautiful lawn, also lower maintenance than Bermuda.
I've never grown centepede.

There is an inverse relationship between planting approach and cost. From
most expensive (and nicest) to cheapest (and more delayed gratification):

sod -- plugs -- sprigs -- seed

(seed may not be available for some cultivars).

Check here for a sod provider: http://www.ncsod.org/ .

Doc

. com...

ncstockguy 27-03-2004 11:44 PM

Lawns -- advice for warm season grass

If its in heavy shade, and you don't want to have to mow the extra
grass, you could spread a little fertilizer for acid loving plants and
you would likely get a nice stand of emerald green moss. We've got
some out under the trees in the back of our yard. Its nice and green
and zero maintenance.