Old 06-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Arwen Long

Default last frost?

When should we have our last frost? I have some lemongrass that is itching
to get outside, but I don't dare let it go until the danger of frost is
past.

Thanks!

Arwen

Old 06-03-2004, 04:42 PM

Average is april 15th
absolute last is April 30th

My lemon grass has overwintered now for 2 years

Very sunny location next to the streeet

tomatolord

pub.duke.edu...

Old 08-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Penny Morgan

April 15th is our frost cutoff. That means that the average time of year is
the 15th. It could go a week or two before or after. If you have a small
quantity, you can plant it out on the 15th and cover it when the danger of
frost is predicted.

I also have lemon grass planted near the back of my house and mine survives
the winter. I leave the entire plant (don't cut it back) intact throughout
the winter and spring and then cut back in late April. It comes back bigger
and beautiful. It actually looks very pretty through the winter - the
leaves turn a soft pink, and eventually, a soft beige color. I sometimes
cut pieces and use them in dried arrangements in the house.

Hope this is helpful.

Penny
pub.duke.edu...

Old 09-03-2004, 04:15 AM
Arwen Long

Thanks to Penny & Tomatoe Lord
Since it's inside now, would you wait to plant it until the 15th and then
cut it back? Or cut it inside now and plant it later? Or...

Arwen

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Penny Morgan wrote:

April 15th is our frost cutoff. That means that the average time of year is
the 15th. It could go a week or two before or after. If you have a small
quantity, you can plant it out on the 15th and cover it when the danger of
frost is predicted.

I also have lemon grass planted near the back of my house and mine survives
the winter. I leave the entire plant (don't cut it back) intact throughout
the winter and spring and then cut back in late April. It comes back bigger
and beautiful. It actually looks very pretty through the winter - the
leaves turn a soft pink, and eventually, a soft beige color. I sometimes
cut pieces and use them in dried arrangements in the house.

Hope this is helpful.

Penny
pub.duke.edu...

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 0 06-03-2004 04:01 PM
Frost last night in North Shirley, Long Island. Jerry Minasi Edible Gardening 7 07-10-2003 07:02 PM
Last Frost B & J Gardening 2 29-04-2003 09:44 PM
Last frost in May. When to start sowing veg? Nicholas United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 07:40 PM