GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   transplanting quince help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/55403-transplanting-quince-help.html)

Gena 13-03-2004 11:43 PM

transplanting quince help

i have discovered old struggling quince growing in our woods, which is
clearly an old homesite as there is daffodils and other assorted landscape
plants hither and yon.

i would like to move these, there are 3 or 4 spindly stems.

i have no experience with quince! what is good siting for them in the
triangle area, and can i move them now without consequence? my fear about
waiting until fall, (besides the likelyhood i will completely forget!), is
that soon there will be such thick underbrush, they will be impossible to
locate.

thank you,
gena

Baine Carruthers 14-03-2004 01:55 AM

transplanting quince help

One note, some people (I'm one) are allergic to quince, so be careful when
transplanting. I know that I break out similar to poison ivy rash only
worse.

--
Baine

nk.net...

Brian 14-03-2004 03:44 AM

transplanting quince help

In my experience, quince are tough as freakin' nails. I have two that I
can't remember the cultivar of, that have (ashamedly) been sitting in
my driveway for TWO years. In full sun, in all seasons. I simply
haven't found a place for them yet, yet there they are, budding out and
probably blooming in the next week or two. They are sharing the space
with a sweet olive and an azalea that I replaced, thinking it was dead
until it came back from the roots, which I dug up and put in a plastic
pot.

I really don't think of myself as a sadist, but these plants are
troopers. I think I might try to plant them tomorrow... :)

I say cut the quince back so you can handle it (with gloves), and give
it a nice new home in your yard. I believe they like at least half a
day of sun, probably more if you can swing it.

Gena 16-03-2004 12:41 PM

transplanting quince help

thank you baine and brian,

i moved it over the weekend, wearing my to-the-elbow leather rose pruning
gloves! so far no bad side effects, thanks to you, i would have never
thought that sweet little plant could be mean :)

i wound up not moving them far, just to the edge of the woods where they
were, the better to see them. you are right about being hardy, they didn't
even look 'faint' afterwards....the weather is cooperating too!

gena