Old 15-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Michael

Default Stake or cage tomatoes?

I have always used stakes to support my tomatoes, but I have read a few
articles about caging. I was planning on getting concrete reinforcing wire
with the 6x6 openings and making my own cages, but I thought I would like
to hear from someone who has tried both. Thanks for your help!
Old 15-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Daniel B. Martin

... concrete reinforcing wire with the 6x6 openings ...

Having tried various methods over the years, I've found the concrete
reinforcing wire works best for me.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 15-03-2004, 11:48 PM

In article k.net, Daniel B. Martin wrote:
... concrete reinforcing wire with the 6x6 openings ...

Having tried various methods over the years, I've found the concrete
reinforcing wire works best for me.

Daniel B. Martin

I will second Daniel's recommendation. I generally make 2 foot cages.
That takes 7 feet of wire per cage. The wire is TOUGH. You need heavy
duty pliers. I actually use a bolt cutter for cutting and Channel locks
for bending it to connect them. You can expect to get 5-10 years use
from a cage. The wire is rusty / dusty when you first get it but after
being out doors for awhile it kind of solidifies and is not as much of a
mess. Wear old clothes and heavy duty gloves. I think a 50 foot roll
is about $25. Get a bigger roll and you get a better price per foot.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.

Old 15-03-2004, 11:48 PM
DonS

In article k.net, "Daniel B. Martin" wrote:
... concrete reinforcing wire with the 6x6 openings ...

Having tried various methods over the years, I've found the concrete
reinforcing wire works best for me.

That's what I used last year, with good results. Be sure to buy/borrow a bolt
cutter. I used lineman pliers on one cage, then went and bought the bolt
cutter.

-don

Old 17-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Anne Lurie

When I looked at Craig Lehoullier's website
http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/Fro..._Mar_03_04.htm and
looked at the "2003 Growout Spreadsheet" which has links to photos of the
tomato plants, I was struck by the fact that *all* the tomato plants seem to
be staked. I had given up growing determinate varieties because I had
difficulty staking some of them, but using tomato cages last year did not
work well for me.

I'm sure that many on this group have good luck with the various cages, but
I just can't see myself dealing with 6-foot tall cages (or storing them over
the winter).

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 17-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Bill

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to stake or cage tomatoes.
I've found this website that evaluates the different techniques:

http://www.mastergardeners.org/picks...o_staking.html

The Square Wooden Cage technique seems possible. Instead of using
rods, I might use string or wire. Wire might be easier to thread
through the holes.

Bill

Old 18-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Cindy Huffman

(Bill) wrote in
m:

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to stake or cage tomatoes.
I've found this website that evaluates the different techniques:

http://www.mastergardeners.org/picks...o_staking.html

The Square Wooden Cage technique seems possible. Instead of using
rods, I might use string or wire. Wire might be easier to thread
through the holes.

Bill

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
.com...
When I looked at Craig Lehoullier's website
http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/Fro..._Mar_03_04.htm
and looked at the "2003 Growout Spreadsheet" which has links to photos
of the tomato plants, I was struck by the fact that *all* the tomato
plants seem to be staked. I had given up growing determinate varieties
because I had difficulty staking some of them, but using tomato cages
last year did not work well for me.

I'm sure that many on this group have good luck with the various cages,
but I just can't see myself dealing with 6-foot tall cages (or storing
them over the winter).

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Two years ago, I staked my tomato plants after my tomatoes took over the
tomato cages. **I used leftover lattice and stabilized it with a frame. I
placed it between my rows of tomatoes and used those plastic tie-thingies
around the lattice openings and the tomatoes (so two rows of tomatoes
shared the same stake).** This worked wonderfully for me.

The only thing I would do different (and didn't get a chance to do last
year) would be placing my tomatoes towards the back of my garden, because
this set-up ended up blocking some sunlight from some of my other plants.
I plan to do this same set up this year.

**Replace "I" with "my husband", because he put the lattice-frame together
for me. :-)

Cindy
--
Cindy