Old 01-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Good plants for shaded areas?

Sean Scoggins wrote:

Interestingly, whoever lived here before planted some Vinca Minor, and it
looks like they got (possibly just one) Vinca Major in there accidentally.
So in some areas I have an "undergrowth" of Vinca Minor covered with a layer
of Vinca Major! The Major will take over the whole yard if you are not
careful. I have pulled up plants, left them in the driveway for days, and
they have rooted when they got moved into a dirt-covered area by my car
repeatedly backing down the driveway over them!

The former owner of our house planted vinca major in one of the front
beds. I'm about to try gross chemical warfare in an attempt to
eradicate it - round up sprayed onto vinyl gloves (with several layers
of gloves underneath) and then wiped on the plants. I've tried pulling
them up, digging them up and the bloody buggers keep coming back. If it
wasn't for trying to protect the plants around them, I'd say to hell
with it and nuke the whole bed with round up or some other vegetaion
killer. I am prepared for the idea that I do lose a bunch of other
stuff if need be to get rid of this.

Hate your neighbors, in-laws, relatives? Drop some vinca major in their
yard. *sigh*

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu