GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ph for columbines (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/56040-ph-columbines.html)

Susan Gillispie 19-03-2004 01:28 AM

ph for columbines

Does anyone know whether columbines prefer acidic soil or neutral? I have
them do OK for a short while in acidic soil but then they seem to just
disappear.

Same thing with astilbes. I think I am getting something important wrong
here. I know for nasturtiums and lavendar I bring in sand and put them in
mostly sandy soil and they do fine. I haven't been able to locate a
resource to tell me about astilbe and columbine, though.

Marcy Hege 19-03-2004 01:57 AM

ph for columbines

I think I remember reading in a recent issue of Horticulture magazine that
columbines grew wild in alkaline soils so it wouldn't hurt to throw a bit of
lime their way to help out.

Marcy Hege 19-03-2004 01:57 AM

ph for columbines

Susan Gillispie 20-03-2004 02:33 AM

ph for columbines

(Marcy Hege) wrote in
:

I think I remember reading in a recent issue of Horticulture magazine
that columbines grew wild in alkaline soils so it wouldn't hurt to
throw a bit of lime their way to help out.

Thanks! I will add some lime to my bed tomorrow.