GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winter sowing (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/56216-winter-sowing.html)

Brian 20-03-2004 11:31 PM

Winter sowing

Actually, I forgot...today's the first day of Spring. Anyway, I got
interested in winter sowing seeds from GardenWeb's forum, located he

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow/

I've always had rotten luck with seeds...I do fine with plants, but
when it comes to providing for the needs of seedlings, I can be a bit
hopeless. Last weekend, I figured I had nothing to lose after reading
some accounts of people on the forum, so I went dumpster diving and got
some (12 to be specific) gallon milk jugs, brought them home and cut
flaps in the sides, washed them out well (eek, the smell), rinsed in a
weak bleach solution and dried, then filled the bottoms with seed
starting mix from Lowes. I pulled out the container I've been storing
impulse buy seed packs in (K-Mart has some great selections from Martha
Stewart...get'em while you can) and sowed according to
instruction...signet marigolds, alyssum, Barlow columbines (black, and
mixed), mixed bell peppers (Martha's got some nice selections there,
color-wise), and some perennial seeds (coreopsis, red salvia, dark
purple salvia) and maybe some other stuff I can't remember. Anyway, the
idea is to put the seed out there and sort of let nature do its thing
and let the cards fall where they may. So far the alyssum has sprouted,
which is not a big surprise, but if the rest work out, then this is a
great way to start seed for somebody who otherwise would be hopeless at
it. The jugs are against a brick wall on the south side of my house,
sitting on the concrete pad there, so they should be plenty warm, even
on the cool nights we are still sure to have.

Anybody else doing this?