Old 21-03-2004, 08:32 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default Where to plant a gardenia?

I finally succumbed to my old love, gardenias, by buying a bud-covered plant
at the grocery store, but to be honest, I have never planted one, just lived
in many places where they were already established, so I never paid
attention to light, exposure, and soil.

The label called it Gardenia Veitchii, and the directions were only for
keeping it as a house plant. I've got too many chickens in the house to have
room for house plants!

What makes a gardenia bush healthy and happy? Besides waiting till after
the expected hard freeze early next week to plant it?

laurie (Mother Mastiff)

Old 21-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Robert

Gardenias can live in sun to partial shade and like acidic soil. I have a
bunch of Chuck Hayes Gardenias planted as foundation plantings along the
front of our house and they have done well there. We are surrounded by tall
pines so they only get partial shade.

Our soil here is pure clay so when I planted our Gardenias I had to heavily
amend the soil with compost, topsoil and peat moss to about 18" to get
anything that they would grow in. Once I did that they transplanted and grew
just fine. They were actually the first successful shrubs that I've ever
planted.

We fertilize with Holly-tone in the spring and other than that and an
occasional pruning they've been pretty easy. Last fall we had an aphid
infestation which is what caused a lot of the problems I've seen this spring
but they should perk up soon.

The only Gardenias I know of that can survive the winters here are Kleim's
hardy and Chuck Hayes. There are some posts on Gardenweb from people who
have had success with Veitchii making it through some cold winters.

We got our Gardenias from Red Mill Nursery in Durham and have been really
happy with them and all of the plants we've bought there.

Robert

"laurie (Mother Mastiff)" wrote in
message k.net...

Old 21-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Brian

Basically, what Robert said.

I'll add that I don't know why anybody in these parts would grow any
other cultivar than Chuck Hayes. It was developed in Virginia Beach, so
we live in the target climate for it, and it has two blooming
periods...I think I posted somewhere that I was able to take my Mom
some gardenia blossoms last Thanksgiving!

Old 21-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Dan Becker

In article , Brian
wrote:

Basically, what Robert said.

The only other thing to add is that it is recommended you plant them
where they will not get early morning sun in the winter.

Dan

Old 22-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Sandie Hudson

"Dan Becker" wrote in message
In article , Brian
wrote:

Basically, what Robert said.

The only other thing to add is that it is recommended you plant them
where they will not get early morning sun in the winter.

Dan

I have two that are thriving on the east side of my house. They definitely
get morning sun and very little shade. I don't know what variety. But one
has grown 3 and the other 4 feet in the last 4 years. They seem to bloom
forever once they get start.

--
Sandie
- Don't forget to take the cats out.

Old 24-03-2004, 06:11 AM
Peggy Wissinger

One additional thought, they need protection from wind. If you put them in
a wind tunnel, they will not perform. They do best up against a windbreak
(near the foundation or other protection).

Old 27-03-2004, 05:35 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

The only other thing to add is that it is recommended you plant them
where they will not get early morning sun in the winter.

Dan,

That's interesting, any idea why that would be?

Thaks for the tips, guys! laurie

Old 27-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Marcy Hege

Gardenias and other broad-leaved evergreens suffer when leaves frozen in winter
are rapidly thawed by the morning sun. The quick thaw expands the moisture in
the leaves to the point of rupturing some of the membranes, allowing the water
to escape and drying out the leaves....I think it's what's called winter leaf
burn.

History And Care Of Gardenia Plants And Gardenia Flowers BobWalsh Gardening 12 19-02-2012 04:30 AM
Can I plant a Gardenia outside? SBHCOM Gardening 9 17-05-2003 12:08 AM
Gardenia Honky Nut Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
gardenia help req ÑòDd¥ Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Gardenia Susan Gardening 2 02-03-2003 05:39 AM