GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Looking for a recommendation for replacing shrubs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/57277-looking-recommendation-replacing-shrubs.html)

McQualude 06-04-2004 09:36 PM

Looking for a recommendation for replacing shrubs

"Anne Lurie" said:

If you don't like the type of bushes in front of your house that's
one thing. However, if you don't like them because they look "dull &
scraggly," you might prune & fertilize them to improve their looks.

Just a thought -- "start with the simplest solution first" is my
motto.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

I could probably improve their looks but I doubt I would like them. Still,
I won't be replacing until late fall or next spring so maybe I will
fertilize them and see if they can turn from dull to shiny.

--
McQualude

Anne Lurie 06-04-2004 09:36 PM

Looking for a recommendation for replacing shrubs

If you don't like the type of bushes in front of your house that's one
thing. However, if you don't like them because they look "dull & scraggly,"
you might prune & fertilize them to improve their looks.

Just a thought -- "start with the simplest solution first" is my motto.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"McQualude" wrote in message
Our house has the standard evergreen shrubs in front. I don't like them,
they look dull & scraggly. My wife is very hesitant to pull them out
because she hates a 'naked house'.

I would like a recommendation on something to replace them that is can be
maintained in a neat looking state, something that will look nice year
round.

We also have a low ground cover that is the same dull, flat green color,
any suggestions on a suitable replacement would be welcome, thank you.
--
McQualude

Designayard 20-04-2004 10:07 AM

Looking for a recommendation for replacing shrubs

Quote:

Originally posted by McQualude
Our house has the standard evergreen shrubs in front. I don't like them,
they look dull & scraggly. My wife is very hesitant to pull them out
because she hates a 'naked house'.

I would like a recommendation on something to replace them that is can be
maintained in a neat looking state, something that will look nice year
round.

We also have a low ground cover that is the same dull, flat green color,
any suggestions on a suitable replacement would be welcome, thank you.
--
McQualude

Hi,
Otto Luykens are a great shrub with a very dark, rich color year round. During the spring they bloom white candle-like flowers. They are a beautiful addition as a background to other plants also. As far as lowgrowers there are quite a few. You may want add a bit of color or texture change for interest. Wheelers Dwarf Pittosporum is a great low mounding shrub, but somthing like Daub's Frosted Juniper will add a bit of additional interest. They are also many varieties and colors of groundcover that bloom all summer to add a polished look. I hope this helps. You can look on our website for some pictures of these plants. www.Design-A-Yard.com. Type it in just as it looks, with hyphens.