Old 30-03-2004, 07:03 AM
McQualude

Default Looking for a recommendation for replacing shrubs

Our house has the standard evergreen shrubs in front. I don't like them,
they look dull & scraggly. My wife is very hesitant to pull them out
because she hates a 'naked house'.

I would like a recommendation on something to replace them that is can be
maintained in a neat looking state, something that will look nice year
round.

We also have a low ground cover that is the same dull, flat green color,
any suggestions on a suitable replacement would be welcome, thank you.
--
McQualude
Old 30-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Joanna & Mark

Hi Mc
I was reading an article this week and it verified exactly what my 90 year
oldgrandmother told me on her visit here to the Carolina's.
(A quote from the article)
"Do not plant shrubs or trees too close to the house, driveway, deck,
sidewalk or any other permanent structure. The reasons are numerous and may
not be obvious for years."

Some of those reasons are things like the roots growing underneath parts of
your house and destroying your floors or the concrete depending on what type
of house you have, but it seems everyone here wants to have things pushed
right up against their house.
If you do replace the bushes, find something that has a minimal root system.
I am an absolute novice about these things, so I am sure there are so many
here that can tell you want types of shrubs or year round plants are like
that.
I am mentioning this because we just purchased our home and had to have the
shrubs removed and damage repaired.... very costly lesson to learn.
Let me know if you find anything I am planting a flower bed for now, but
would like some ideas as well.
Jo

Old 02-04-2004, 08:55 AM
McQualude

"Charles Balan" said:

You don't mention which way the front of your house faces or whether
it is sun or shade. That makes a whole heapa difference.

Me, I like my azaleas, spreading gardenias, red twig dogwood (though
not evergreen - a great specimen), camellias and hydrangeas (also not
evergreen).

Let us know your yard details and see if anyone has any other ideas.
Also, we presume you're in the triangle?

Charles
"McQualude" wrote in message
Our house has the standard evergreen shrubs in front. I don't like
them, they look dull & scraggly. My wife is very hesitant to pull
them out because she hates a 'naked house'.

I would like a recommendation on something to replace them that is
can be maintained in a neat looking state, something that will look
nice year round.

We also have a low ground cover that is the same dull, flat green
color, any suggestions on a suitable replacement would be welcome,
thank you. --
McQualude

south - southwest, part shade

--
McQualude

Old 02-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Sandie Hudson

"McQualude" wrote in message
"Charles Balan" said:

You don't mention which way the front of your house faces or whether
it is sun or shade. That makes a whole heapa difference.

Me, I like my azaleas, spreading gardenias, red twig dogwood (though
not evergreen - a great specimen), camellias and hydrangeas (also not
evergreen).

I saw some beautiful Hydrangeas at Walmart last night. Where do they like
to "live"? I'd like to plant one or two but I don't know what area they
would do good in. They also had nice looking azaleas for $2.

--
Sandie
- Don't forget to take the cats out.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:35 PM
C G

Sandie Hudson wrote:
"McQualude" wrote in message

"Charles Balan" said:

You don't mention which way the front of your house faces or whether
it is sun or shade. That makes a whole heapa difference.

Me, I like my azaleas, spreading gardenias, red twig dogwood (though
not evergreen - a great specimen), camellias and hydrangeas (also not
evergreen).

I saw some beautiful Hydrangeas at Walmart last night. Where do they like
to "live"? I'd like to plant one or two but I don't know what area they
would do good in. They also had nice looking azaleas for $2.

I always point people here when they are looking for answers on plants:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...ets/index.html

Old 06-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Anne Lurie

If you don't like the type of bushes in front of your house that's one
thing. However, if you don't like them because they look "dull & scraggly,"
you might prune & fertilize them to improve their looks.

Just a thought -- "start with the simplest solution first" is my motto.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 06-04-2004, 10:36 PM
McQualude

"Anne Lurie" said:

If you don't like the type of bushes in front of your house that's
one thing. However, if you don't like them because they look "dull &
scraggly," you might prune & fertilize them to improve their looks.

Just a thought -- "start with the simplest solution first" is my
motto.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

I could probably improve their looks but I doubt I would like them. Still,
I won't be replacing until late fall or next spring so maybe I will
fertilize them and see if they can turn from dull to shiny.

--
McQualude