Old 01-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Derek Mark Edding

Default Who Sharpens Manual Reel Mowers?

Hi Folks,

I have an old manual push mower, the kind with the whirling reel-shaped
blades. I enjoyed using it to do my relatively small front yard for
exercise, back when the blades were sharp.

Is there anyone who still sharpens this kind of mower's blades in the
Morrisville or Cary vicinity? I'd be willing to take it further out if
necessary.

I like this mower because the blades didn't actually scrape together;
they were precise enough to pass just close enough to shave the grass
without touching. It's quiet. I understand they still use this type to
cut golf course greens.

I've tried adjusting them, but they're too uneven to cut cleanly anymore.

Thanks for any pointers!

-dreq

Old 02-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Charles Balan

Have you tried Ace Hardware? They sharpen quite a few different types of
tools. It wouldn't hurt to call them and they might know who could help if
they can't.

Charles

ink.net...

Old 06-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Derek Mark Edding

Concerned Citizen wrote:

Where did you get that mower? I'd like to have one.

Home Despot, nine years ago. This is the item, but the price is too
high the

http://www.agri-fab.com/closeout.html

Ours was $160 back then, iirc.

I looked online and there are a handful of brands that claim to sell
silent ones now. They're used to cut golfing greens.

Good luck...

-dreq

Old 06-04-2004, 10:36 PM
McQualude

Derek Mark Edding said:

Is there anyone who still sharpens this kind of mower's blades in the
Morrisville or Cary vicinity?

I haven't seen an answer yet but you might try sharpening them yourself.
Start with a ******* file and finish with a mill file, would probably only
take about 10 minutes.

Don't let anyone use a generic grinder unless the blades are damaged.
--
McQualude

Old 06-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Derek Mark Edding

McQualude wrote:
I haven't seen an answer yet but you might try sharpening them yourself.
Start with a ******* file and finish with a mill file, would probably only
take about 10 minutes.

Don't let anyone use a generic grinder unless the blades are damaged.

Thanks.

When I was looking for them yesterday, I bumped into a page that says
that at least some of these mowers are designed to sharpen themselves...
If you pay for a kit.

This may be more than you wanted to know:

http://www.reelmowersetc.com/sharpen_reel_mowers.htm

So now all I need is a crank and some lapping compound!

-dreq