Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Robert

Default Hard Freeze??

weather.com is predicting a possible hard freeze for our area, is there
anything people here do to prepare for this or is it just a keep your
fingers crossed situation?

Thanks,

Robert
.... A FREEZE POSSIBLE LATE SUNDAY NIGHT BUT MORE LIKELY MONDAY NIGHT...

UNSEASONABLY COLD AIR IS EXPECTED TO DIVE SOUTH FROM CENTRAL CANADA AND BLOW
INTO CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA ON SUNDAY. CONDITIONS WILL BECOME WINDY SUNDAY
MORNING AS THE LEADING EDGE OF THE COLD DRY AIR MOVES THROUGH THE STATE.
TEMPERATURES WILL START TO RISE ON SUNDAY BUT COME TO A HALT AS GUSTY
NORTHWEST WINDS POSSIBLY AS HIGH AS 35 MPH BRING THE COLDER AIR INTO THE
STATE. SUNDAY NIGHT... TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO FALL INTO THE 30S
OVERNIGHT THEN DIP TO NEAR OR SLIGHTLY BELOW FREEZING IN MANY AREAS TOWARD
DAYBREAK. AT THIS TIME IT APPEARS THAT TEMPERATURES NEAR TO SLIGHTLY BELOW
FREEZING WILL LAST BETWEEN ONE AND THREE HOURS.

ON MONDAY NIGHT... EVEN COLDER TEMPERATURES AND A HARD FREEZE ARE POSSIBLE
AS AN AREA OF HIGH PRESSURE SETTLES OVER NORTH CAROLINA. THE AREA OF HIGH
PRESSURE WILL CAUSE WINDS TO BECOME NEARLY CALM. UNDER CLEAR SKIES AND WITH
VERY DRY AIR... RADIATIONAL COOLING WILL SEND TEMPERATURES DOWNWARD INTO THE
20S ACROSS MOST OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA. AT THIS TIME, IT APPEARS THAT
TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING FOR AS LONG AS 6 OR 7 HOURS.

PEOPLE WITH INTERESTS IN EARLY SEASON AGRICULTURE... HORTICULTURE... OR
GARDENING SHOULD BE AWARE OF THE POTENTIAL FOR FREEZING TEMPERATURES SUNDAY
NIGHT AND A POSSIBLE HARD FREEZE MONDAY NIGHT....

Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 PM
McQualude

"Baine Carruthers" said:

Be careful using the plastic sheeting. It usually does more harm
than good unless you're out there before sun hits it.

Why, what happens?
--
McQualude

Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Daniel Barton

McQualude wrote:

"Baine Carruthers" said:

Be careful using the plastic sheeting. It usually does more harm
than good unless you're out there before sun hits it.

Why, what happens?

Because it cooks the plants underneath it. I once put out
a piece of clear plastic sheeting on my lawn to dry. While it
dried it managed to barbeque the grass underneath it.

Daniel

| |

Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Brent Harsh

Robert wrote:

weather.com is predicting a possible hard freeze for our area, is there
anything people here do to prepare for this or is it just a keep your
fingers crossed situation?

I have no idea if it's the right thing to do, but I do cover some of
the young growing things - I have an old moving blanket and some heavy
plastic sheeting that I just drape over them. I pull our jasmine and
other potted plants in off the deck. My mom was down from Wisconsin
last month and sowed some cosmos, allysum, morning glories, etc - I
cover those now that they're popping out.

Thanks,

Robert
... A FREEZE POSSIBLE LATE SUNDAY NIGHT BUT MORE LIKELY MONDAY NIGHT...

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 PM
McQualude

Daniel Barton said:

Be careful using the plastic sheeting. It usually does more harm
than good unless you're out there before sun hits it.

Why, what happens?

Because it cooks the plants underneath it. I once put out
a piece of clear plastic sheeting on my lawn to dry. While it
dried it managed to barbeque the grass underneath it.

What you did was create a little greenhouse with no ventilation, the grass
was cooked and smothered. When plastic is used to protect plants from
frost, it should be raised up so it is not touching and it should be
removed the next morning.
--
McQualude

Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Joanna & Mark

I need advice on this one.
My grandmother said to use my lawn clippings on the plants.
Will this work or smother them. I just mowed this morning and have bags
full of it.
I dont want to do the wrong thing.
Thank ahead of time,
Jo

link.net...

Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 PM
McQualude

"Joanna & Mark" said:

My grandmother said to use my lawn clippings on the plants.

Only if you want grass to grow in your garden.

My wife uses milk jugs with the bottom cut off, just set them over the
plant. You can use plastic, but prop it up so that it doesn't touch the
plant and remove it the next morning.
--
McQualude
Old 06-04-2004, 09:36 PM
McQualude

"Joanna & Mark" said:

My grandmother said to use my lawn clippings on the plants.

Only if you want grass to grow in your garden.

My wife uses milk jugs with the bottom cut off, just set them over the
plant. You can use plastic, but prop it up so that it doesn't touch the
plant and remove it the next morning.
--
McQualude

Hard freeze George Shirley[_3_] Edible Gardening 13 09-01-2017 06:18 PM
Grapes, dormancy and green leaves wilting at hard freeze DigitalVinyl Gardening 5 18-11-2004 10:47 PM
Hard Freeze?? Robert North Carolina 0 06-04-2004 09:36 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
okay to buy plants at Red Barn after the freeze? sort Texas 2 05-03-2003 01:27 AM