Old 07-04-2004, 12:36 AM
C G

Default Advice about VERY messy neighbor

Joanna & Mark wrote:
Good morning everyone!
Hope everyone got their plants through the freeze safely.

I am inquiring about who to notify about a messy neighbor.
This isn't a "I have kids that make a mess" or "I just didn't get around
to cleaning up my yard for a couple of weeks", or even "This is an
ongoing work in progress."
The yard is covered in garbage with two broken down cars in the driveway
with torn bags of fertilizer, mulch and ohter moldy bags of god knows
what all over the vehicles, broken pots all over the ground tipped over,
rusted cans and garbage spewed all over the yard.
I have seen the people who live there once only on a Saturday.
I have asked other neighbors if there was a problem and perhaps we could
go over and help. (Things happen so maybe they could use help cleaning)
Everyone said, no that it was a young couple who was lazy and that
stuff had been there for years.
Most of the people in our neighborhood are very house proud and I love
them for it, but having one house like that in the neighborhood has not
only detracted from it's appearance, I now see that the people that live
next to them have moved out and are trying to rent the home. It
frightens me to think who would rent so close to a place that is such a
disaster.
Is there an agency in Raleigh / Garner that could be notified to request
that this be taken care of?

Thanks again,
Jo

First, check the covenants of the neighborhood. Many have clauses about
taking care of the yard. Second, contact the county/city health
department. If there's trash/garbage in the yard, they can step in on
your behalf.

Chuck

Old 07-04-2004, 01:32 AM
Joanna & Mark

I am heading over on the weekend to test the waters so to speak, but if all
else fails I will definitely take the advice of notifying some sort of
health department.
Thank you

Old 07-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Jennifer Richards

When I had a similar situation in Hillsborough, I called the County Manager.
(It was actually outside the town limits, so the county was the appropriate
authority.) There are laws about garbage in your yard and they can be
enforced, regardless of health codes or neighborhood covenants. Just start
calling the county or city offices until you get someone to tell you who's
job it is. If you go over and talk to the neighbors and get nowhere (which
is likely) you'll just let them know who told the authorities. So don't
approach them is my advice. Someone who throws garbage in their yard could
give a rat's ass about your opinion or your offer to "help." In my case,
the county manager wrote a letter to the party indicating complaints had
been made but leaving my name out of it. It took a few weeks and a second
more threatening letter (she sent me copies to let me know she was working
on it), but the garbage was cleaned up. In the second letter legal action
was threatened for non-compliance by a certain date.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:35 AM
McQualude

"Joanna & Mark" said:

The yard is covered in garbage with
two broken down cars in the driveway with torn bags of fertilizer,
mulch and ohter moldy bags of god knows what all over the vehicles,
broken pots all over the ground tipped over, rusted cans and garbage

I live in Garner and something similiar was happening in our neighborhood.
My neighbors, about 20 of them, went down to the messy house on a Saturday
morning and cleaned up the junk, mowed the grass, raked the leaves and
made the place look nice. We were brand new to the neighborhood and
weren't involved but I was told that our neighborhood, which was
established in the late 50's, has a covenant that governs such things.
I've never seen it so I don't know if it's true.

http://www.ci.garner.nc.us/CIS/enforce/enforce2.htm
http://www.ci.garner.nc.us/TownCode.htm
--
McQualude
Old 07-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Joanna & Mark

Mc to the rescue again!
That is exactly the information that I was looking for.
For the life of my I could not find that information. This will also help
me understand the area a lot more.
Thank you so much!
Jo

Old 12-04-2004, 10:36 PM

Speaking of messy - wrapping mime formats around something that should
be plain text looks messy to me. ;-)

If you are in the county you may be out of luck. If in a town check
with zoning and see what they may be violating. Good luck. We had one
house on the street that the shutters fell off and the siding was
rotting before they repaired and replaced. 5 years of an eyesore.
Thankfully the front yard has a steep slope so they never put any cars
on blocks on it.

In article , Joanna & Mark wrote:

------=_NextPart_000_0045_01C41BB5.3990D4C0

Good morning everyone! =20
Hope everyone got their plants through the freeze safely.

I am inquiring about who to notify about a messy neighbor. =20
This isn't a "I have kids that make a mess" or "I just didn't get around =
to cleaning up my yard for a couple of weeks", or even "This is an =
ongoing work in progress."=20
The yard is covered in garbage with two broken down cars in the driveway =
with torn bags of fertilizer, mulch and ohter moldy bags of god knows =
what all over the vehicles, broken pots all over the ground tipped over, =
rusted cans and garbage spewed all over the yard.
I have seen the people who live there once only on a Saturday.=20
[...]

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"
META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Good morning everyone!  =
/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Hope everyone got their plants through =
the freeze=20
safely./FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2I am inquiring about who to notify =
about a messy=20
neighbor.  /FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2This isn't a "I have kids that make a =
mess" or "I=20
just didn't get around to cleaning up my yard for a couple of weeks", or =
even=20
"This is an ongoing work in progress." /FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2The yard is covered in garbage with two =
broken down=20
cars in the driveway with torn bags of fertilizer, mulch and ohter moldy =
bags of=20
god knows what all over the vehicles, broken pots all over the ground =
tipped=20
over, rusted cans and garbage spewed all over the yard./FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2I have seen the people who live there =
once only on=20
a Saturday. /FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2I have asked other neighbors if there =
was a problem=20
and perhaps we could go over and help. (Things happen so maybe they =
could use=20
help cleaning)  Everyone said, no that it was a young  couple =
who was=20
lazy and that stuff had been there for years./FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Most of the people in our neighborhood =
are very=20
house proud and I love them for it, but having one house like that in =
the=20
neighborhood has not only detracted from it's appearance, I now see that =
the=20
people that live next to them have moved out and are trying to rent the =
home. It=20
frightens me to think who would rent so close to a place that is such a=20
disaster./FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Is there an agency in Raleigh / Garner =
that could=20
be notified to request that this be taken care of?/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Thanks again,/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Jo/FONT/DIV/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_0045_01C41BB5.3990D4C0--

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.