GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where to get a peavey? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/58411-where-get-peavey.html)

Steve Holzworth 08-04-2004 12:33 AM

Where to get a peavey?

I'm fairly sure that's what it's called. It's a pole with a metal end
and a hinged hook, used to roll logs around. I haven't seen any in the
big box hardware stores. I'm going to cut up some downed trees on some
land I own, and want to move the resultant parts into some sembalnce of
order.

--
Steve Holzworth "Do not attribute to poor spelling
That which is actually poor typing..."

Daniel B. Martin 08-04-2004 01:06 AM

Where to get a peavey?

It's a pole with a metal end and a hinged hook, used to roll logs around.

Peavey is (or was) a brand name. You are seeking a log jack. Google on
log jack and find vendors such as ...
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cspoutdo...ielogjack.html
http://www.1-home-improvement.com/la...00002N9DE.html
http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...ProductID=2658
http://www.madsens1.com/miscaxe.htm
http://www.agri-supply.com/catmain/3700009.htm
etc.

Harbor Freight sold them at one time but I don't see it in their current
on-line catalog.

Daniel B. Martin

Daniel B. Martin 08-04-2004 01:06 AM

Where to get a peavey?

It's a pole with a metal end and a hinged hook, used to roll logs around.

Bingo! Local source, good price. Northern calls it a timberjack.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...4&categoryId=0

Daniel B. Martin

McQualude 08-04-2004 04:02 AM

Where to get a peavey?

"Daniel B. Martin" said:

Bingo! Local source, good price. Northern calls it a timberjack.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...oductDisplay?s
toreId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=2 00
197724&categoryId=0

http://tinyurl.com/3fk38

--
McQualude

Woozy 08-04-2004 04:36 PM

Where to get a peavey?

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:12:46 -0400, Steve Holzworth
wrote:

I'm fairly sure that's what it's called. It's a pole with a metal end
and a hinged hook, used to roll logs around. I haven't seen any in the
big box hardware stores. I'm going to cut up some downed trees on some
land I own, and want to move the resultant parts into some sembalnce of
order.

--
Steve Holzworth "Do not attribute to poor spelling
That which is actually poor typing..."
Senior Systems Developer - me
SAS Institute - Cary, N.C. - Open Systems R&D UNIX/VMS/MAC

Agri Supply is where I got mine -- off Rt70 in Garner

http://www.agri-supply.com

Steve Holzworth 08-04-2004 08:36 PM

Where to get a peavey?

In article t, Daniel
B. Martin wrote:

It's a pole with a metal end and a hinged hook, used to roll logs around.

Bingo! Local source, good price. Northern calls it a timberjack.

Cool, thanks. It appears that Peavey was the inventor's name, back in
the 1900's. Apparently the generic name is "cant dog".

From dictionary.com:
*********
pea·vey also pea·vy
n. pl. pea·veys, also pea·vies

An implement consisting of a wooden shaft with a metal point and a
hinged hook near the end, used to handle logs.

[After JosephPeavey (fl. 1875), American inventor.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,
Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

***********
peavey

\Pea"vey\ Peavy \Pea"vy\, n. [Said to be from the inventor's name.]
(Lumbering) A cant hook having the end of its lever armed with a spike.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA,
Inc.

************
peavey

n : a stout lever with a sharp spike; used for handling logs [syn:
peavy, cant dog]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

Daniel B. Martin 09-04-2004 04:11 PM

Where to get a peavey?

Cool, thanks. It appears that Peavey was the inventor's name, back in
the 1900's. Apparently the generic name is "cant dog".

See today's News & Observer, page 13A, for a Northern Tool & Equipment store
coupon. This "20% off any single item of your choice" is valid tomorrow,
Saturday 4/10/04.

Daniel B. Martin

[email protected] 12-04-2004 10:36 PM

Where to get a peavey?

In article t, Daniel B. Martin wrote:
It's a pole with a metal end and a hinged hook, used to roll logs around.

Bingo! Local source, good price. Northern calls it a timberjack.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...4&categoryId=0

Daniel B. Martin

Try to buy local. Check with Burke Brothers Hardware or Smith's across
the street from them on Hillsborough st near the fair grounds.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.