Old 10-04-2004, 05:33 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default You Dig - "enriched" dirt from chicken pens

My handyman of 7 years got a job that's 7 days a week, so there's nobody
here physically capable of digging out the bottoms of the chicken yard and
pens as we do every spring and fall (I have a seriously bad back now, and
can't even use a trowel any more).

This isn't neatly collected chicken manure (that's too strong anyway and
will kill plants). I am a hobbyist and not a commercial breeder. It's the
clay the chickens trampled the poop INTO, and the main room and one poorly
drained pen have coarse pine bark that is a great texturizer for our NC clay
soil. It works great in gardens. This stuff has turned my garden from
slick orange clay to brown SOIL.

It's easier to get the shovel into when wet, but it's heavy then. It's
harder to get the shovel into when dry, but is lighter. A day or two after
a rain seems to work out best. Please bring your own shovel and
wheelbarrow.

You dig, you haul, your garden will love you!

If interested, email for address (SW Apex off Ten Ten) and times.

laurie (Mother Mastiff)