Old 12-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Joanna & Mark

Default regulations for ice cream truck music

Hi Heidi,
It sounds odd that they are playing the music that long or even weirder
X-Mas tunes.
I would definitely check to see if it is a company or a self owned truck.
Either way speaking with the owner about the duration might help.

I don't think you are a scrooge, but I might be being that I am wary of self
owned Ice Cream trucks.
I am from NYC and playing holiday music was a way of letting ppl know there
was another type of snow on the truck. Also my queue to keep my kids away
from it.
This probably isn't an issue here in NC, but old habits are hard to break.

I did ask our local neighborhood ice cream truck about the music time, and
they play for 10 to 15 minutes then stop for about 15, go to the other end
of the neighborhood and do the same. (The driver said they make more money
if they keep moving about)

If your guy is new to the business, you might want to suggest that to him to
keep it friendly.
Best of luck,

Jo

"Heidi" wrote in message
om...
This may be a bit of an off the wall question, but does anyone know if
there are regulations regarding the amplified music played from an ice
cream truck? Does anyone else have problems with their local ice cream
truck? I ask, because whenever I spend my weekends outside the house
gardening I am driven to near insanity by the music played by a local
ice cream truck. I am not exaggerating when I say that I heard the
music for 2 hours. By the time the truck had moved slowly through our
neighborhood and adjoining neighborhoods I had had my fill of music. I
might have been able to handle the music if the driver actually played a
variety of tunes, however the first hour was filled with only two songs
played over and over again: Oh Suzanna, and It's a Small World
Afterall. Eventually these tunes changed over to Christmas carols. I
don't know which is worse, 30 mins straight of Its A Small World, or
hearing Jingle Bells and Deck The Halls wafting through the air when you
are trying to enjoy SPRING. Am I a being a scrooge? Anyone else have
ice cream truck frustrations?

Heidi