GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dogwood Behavior (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/58904-dogwood-behavior.html)

Charles Balan 15-04-2004 01:03 AM

Dogwood Behavior

Okay, why has my new white Dogwood (cornus florida) that I planted last
spring put out its leaves and never bloom? It is about 6 feet high, I bought
it at Broadwells and it has beautiful leafing. But no blooms at all. It
isn't a Kousa dogwood (which I don't like) so it shouldn't bloom after
leafing out. Any thoughts? I thought they didn't need fertilizer.

Thanks,
Charles

C G 15-04-2004 04:03 AM

Dogwood Behavior

Charles Balan wrote:
Okay, why has my new white Dogwood (cornus florida) that I planted last
spring put out its leaves and never bloom? It is about 6 feet high, I bought
it at Broadwells and it has beautiful leafing. But no blooms at all. It
isn't a Kousa dogwood (which I don't like) so it shouldn't bloom after
leafing out. Any thoughts? I thought they didn't need fertilizer.

It can take a few years before they bloom. As long as the leaves look
good, everything should be ok.

DonS 16-04-2004 06:32 PM

Dogwood Behavior

In article , "Charles Balan" wrote:
Okay, why has my new white Dogwood (cornus florida) that I planted last
spring put out its leaves and never bloom? It is about 6 feet high, I bought
it at Broadwells and it has beautiful leafing. But no blooms at all. It
isn't a Kousa dogwood (which I don't like) so it shouldn't bloom after
leafing out. Any thoughts? I thought they didn't need fertilizer.

My experience with plants has followed the sleep/creep/leap path. The first
year they sleep (do nothing). The second year, they creep (grow a little).
The third year, they take off. However, I've had a few dogwoods that took
longer than that to bloom for the first time.

-don