Old 21-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Akbar

Default Source for berry bushes?

All,

I'd like to put some rasp/black/blueberries in a woodsy corner of my
yard that gets 2-3 hours/day of direct sunlight. Is this a horrible
idea? Where can I find such bushes online or offline (preferrably in
or really close to Durham)?

- John
Old 21-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Jennifer Richards

"Akbar" wrote in message
All,

I'd like to put some rasp/black/blueberries in a woodsy corner of my
yard that gets 2-3 hours/day of direct sunlight. Is this a horrible
idea? Where can I find such bushes online or offline (preferrably in
or really close to Durham)?

- John

The following pamphlet has a nursery list for small fruit cultivars for home
use in NC.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/pdf/hil-8210.pdf

Old 21-04-2004, 02:11 PM
C G

Akbar wrote:
All,

I'd like to put some rasp/black/blueberries in a woodsy corner of my
yard that gets 2-3 hours/day of direct sunlight. Is this a horrible
idea? Where can I find such bushes online or offline (preferrably in
or really close to Durham)?

For online, I've had really good luck with Finch's:
http://www.danfinch.com/berrys.htm

Old 21-04-2004, 05:04 PM

In article ,
Akbar wrote:
I'd like to put some rasp/black/blueberries in a woodsy corner of my
yard that gets 2-3 hours/day of direct sunlight. Is this a horrible
idea?

Blueberries and blackberries would like more then 2-3 hours of sun to
produce fruit. Ours are in a spot that gets full sun. It's a little too
hot here for rasberries. They do better up north. Wild blueberries may
do OK in your spot, but you likely won't be picking much fruit.

--
Steve

Old 21-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Robert

I got a bunch of blackberry and raspberry bushes last year form
Architectural Trees in Bahama:

http://www.archtrees.com/

Mine are in a spot with a lot more light than you mentioned and they are
doing really well. I don't know if they are carrying them this year, but you
could email or call them.

I also got a bunch of blueberry bushes from Red Mill Nursery in Durham last
year. You might try them also.

Robert

Old 23-04-2004, 03:06 AM
Penny Morgan

I recently found blueberry and blackberry bushes at Lowe's Home Improvement.
Check them out in your area and see if they have any.

Penny

Old 26-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Tim Rowles

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:24:06 GMT, Brent Harsh
wrote:

So I take it it's normal for them to simply take over a bed, eh?

I take it that yours are as happy as mine, eh? I had really
planned for them to multiply, I had the whole bed preallocated
to raspberries in my mind.

Or would it be okay to let the two
things compete - maybe I'd have some winter flowers and cover that way?

I'm no expert, but it looks like the raspberries feed pretty
deep, so a few shallow-rooted things on top may not compete
directly. Maybe. In my case they're beside some
dwarf and espaliered fruit trees, so I dig out any
advancing canes, which isn't really that much work (it's not
like the more invasive bamboos or anything) if you get 'em
young (although I must confess I have a couple more to dig out
this week.)

- Tim

Old 28-04-2004, 12:02 PM
BRIAN OCONNOR

I live in the Durham area as well and have had poor results with growing
black / red rasberries and some types of black berries. This is most likely
due to soil fungus. I purchased my plants @ lowes and home depot and also on
line. The best success was with growing yellow rasberries and blue berries.

Brian.

Old 30-04-2004, 12:08 AM

In article ,
Tim Rowles wrote:

I've had good luck with Heritage raspberries so far.

How's the flavor of that variety? I've heard that they can be disease
prone due to the heat and humidity. Have you had any problems?

Thanks,
--
Steve

Berry bushes SteveB[_6_] Edible Gardening 0 16-10-2008 11:21 PM
Berry bushes SteveB[_6_] Gardening 1 16-10-2008 09:34 PM
Planting Berry Bushes Jim Pettway Gardening 8 14-02-2006 11:35 PM
Source for balckberry bushes Richard Evans North Carolina 11 15-08-2003 08:17 AM
Birds love the Saskatoon berry Dr. Sweeny Orchids 4 12-03-2003 12:21 AM