Old 24-04-2004, 06:06 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default Thanks, iris advice WORKED! And poppy query

Last spring I posted that after adding organic matter from the chicken house
to the iris bed, the iris had not budded, and several members said that
covering the corms could prevent bud development.

So I scraped the soil off the corms and made sure they were about 1/3
exposed, and this year feels and smells like spring to me, the tiny
lemon-scented white iris are already in bloom, and there are buds
EVERYWHERE.

Thank you, thank you!

And the white clematis Gena gave me last year is growing well and already
has given me two blooms!

I may be an idiot given our jump from winter to summer (again, dammit) but I
have bought some Icelandic poppies. Before I plant them, will they do
better in full sun, or afternoon shade?

cheers, laurie (Mother Mastiff)