GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Green Peppers Questions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/60057-green-peppers-questions.html)

Brad Heidinger 27-04-2004 03:08 PM

Green Peppers Questions

Hello All,

I have planted typical garden variety green bell peppers every year for the
last five years. (Bonnie Bell?) I have never had great luck with crop
production. The plants get approx 4-5 hours of direct sunlight and plenty of
filtered sun. They are grown in raised beds with plenty of organics and I
water them frequently. Other vegetable crops flourish but the peppers lag
behind and put out only a couple peppers per plant. It is either a location
problem, plant selection problem, or a nutrient problem. I have them spaced
two feet apart. I was hoping someone could provide me some guidance and/or
advice.

Note: Due to garden space, I usually plant only a handful of peppers. Maybe
3 or 4 plants. Could it be a pollination problem? Typically there a fewer
flowers and even fewer fruit sets. Who knows?

Thanks for any advice,

Brad Heidinger

PS- The irises that Jenny Walker gave me three years ago have decided this
was the year to bloom too. They look spectacular! Thanks so much. If you
ever have more in your side yard that you want to thin out, don't hesitate

Anne Lurie 27-04-2004 05:09 PM

Green Peppers Questions

I believe peppers can be very picking about setting fruit if temperatures
are too high or too low. Also, pollination can be a problem if there aren't
enough bees around (I was just reading an article in the paper about that,
and how farmers have been affected).

If the plants are green & leafy, but with little fruit, they might be
getting too much nitrogen.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Brad Heidinger 27-04-2004 05:09 PM

Green Peppers Questions

The nitrogen thing maybe the culprit. I am not going to add much fert this
year. I will let the compost do it's thing with very little amendments. I
gave them a dose of "compost tea" at transplanting time. I may give them
another shot of it in a month but for now, they are on their own. : )

Thanks,
Brad

(PS- The compost is well aged so it should have no problems)
. com...

Kira Dirlik 03-05-2004 11:07 PM

Green Peppers Questions

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:52:52 -0400, "Brad Heidinger"
wrote:

Hello All,

I have planted typical garden variety green bell peppers every year for the
last five years. (Bonnie Bell?) I have never had great luck with crop
production.

I have been planting peppers for 8 years, all kinds. I start them
all from seeds, and they are planted exactly alike, mixed up in the
rows, using my compost, commercial potting soil, ground up leaves, and
the orginal clay, all combined. I never get more than one or two
peppers off any bell peppers I plant, but I get dozens off all the
other varieties, like mild and hot bananas, cubanos, long chilis, and
several varieties I call Barok peppers. Of the Baroks, I picked up
the originals (and gleaned the seeds from) a varieties that were set
out to take for free from Barok Builders in Pittsboro several years
ago (I guess they got dozens and dozens, too).
I don't know why bells have a problem, but try some other types.
Most mine are mild, not hot (if that is stopping you from branching
out). Have fun experimenting.
Kira

Derek Mark Edding 04-05-2004 09:12 PM

Green Peppers Questions

Brad Heidinger wrote:

Hello All,

I have planted typical garden variety green bell peppers every year for the
last five years. (Bonnie Bell?) I have never had great luck with crop
production. The plants get approx 4-5 hours of direct sunlight and plenty of
filtered sun. They are grown in raised beds with plenty of organics and I
water them frequently. Other vegetable crops flourish but the peppers lag
behind and put out only a couple peppers per plant. It is either a location
problem, plant selection problem, or a nutrient problem. I have them spaced
two feet apart. I was hoping someone could provide me some guidance and/or
advice.

We had the same experience with ones we bought as plants from Lowe's
last year. We grow them on our deck from large planters filled with
potting soil. The other peppers (thai, jalapeno, cheyenne) grew in
abundance. We got two or three peppers each from the bell pepper
plants. We have about the same amount of sun here too.

-dreq