Old 28-05-2004, 04:17 PM
LAL

Default Japanese stilt grass

Greetings...

Last year there were a few posts about this annoying grass/weed. It had
TOTALLY taken over my backyard which is very shaded. A few people had
posted about Ornamec to kill it. I had bought some, but didn't get around
to applying before winter came. Well, this spring the stilt grass was back
with a vengence. I finally mixed up the Ornamec and applied. It's been 1.5
weeks and 95% of the stilt grass is dead. The other 5% is showing alot of
damage, so it's hopefully on it's way out too.

I'd like to thank everyone here for pointing me in the right direction to
getting rid of this stilt grass. Now, how long should I wait before
deciding to do another application if it's not all gone???

lal

Old 28-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Marcy Hege

You're gonna need to keep at it...I've read that the seeds from the stilt grass
is viable for 7 years...I'm facing the same situation and plan to mount a full
attack with my sprayer tomorrow morning when it is supposed to be cool
(relatively speaking!)

Ornamec is wonderful but be sure to fully read the directions before
using...also, to my nose, the smell is awful. But, the stuff works and I really
haven't seen that it harms my other ornamentals. Of course, I've not used it
near ornamental grasses.

Another word of warning, snakes love to frequent areas infested wth stilt grass
so keep your eyes open.

Marcy
Old 28-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Siouxzi

Great, but is it a generalized killer like Roundup? Does it kill
broadleaf plants?
I bought some Ortho product for killing grasses without harming other
plants, but it takes 1-4 weeks to work! I don't want to wait long to
find out which stilt grass plants I missed or that need another jolt!

Sue

Old 28-05-2004, 06:02 PM

In article , LAL wrote:
Greetings...

Last year there were a few posts about this annoying grass/weed. It had
TOTALLY taken over my backyard which is very shaded. A few people had
posted about Ornamec to kill it. I had bought some, but didn't get around
to applying before winter came. Well, this spring the stilt grass was back
with a vengence. I finally mixed up the Ornamec and applied. It's been 1.5
weeks and 95% of the stilt grass is dead. The other 5% is showing alot of
damage, so it's hopefully on it's way out too.

I'd like to thank everyone here for pointing me in the right direction to
getting rid of this stilt grass. Now, how long should I wait before
deciding to do another application if it's not all gone???

lal

All the leaves should turn brown. Look for new growth on the ones that
did not. That would be a definite indicator of needing re-treating.
Give it another few days and spray what is still green.

Remember you may get another infestation because all the seeds don't
germinate at once.

It flowers late in the year and I sprayed late so I have seen little in
my yard so far.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 28-05-2004, 06:02 PM

In article , Siouxzi wrote:
Great, but is it a generalized killer like Roundup? Does it kill
broadleaf plants?
I bought some Ortho product for killing grasses without harming other
plants, but it takes 1-4 weeks to work! I don't want to wait long to
find out which stilt grass plants I missed or that need another jolt!

It does not flower and produce seeds until later in the year so there is
no rush now. Be patient.

Old 28-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Marcy Hege

Ornamec is a grass killer and can be sprayed "over-the-top"of most ornamentals
without any damage.

As for the length of time it takes to kill it, you would probably notice a
wilting within 24 hours but it would take a few days for the stilt grass to
die.

Stilt grass does not set seed until September so you would have plenty of time
to retreat if you missed some.

For more info on Ornamec,
http://www.pbigordon.com/Product_Pag..._Herbicide.htm

Also on stilt grass,
ipm.ppws.vt.edu/weeds/Microstegium.pdf

Marcy
Old 28-05-2004, 11:04 PM
MAC

wrote:

Greetings...

Last year there were a few posts about this annoying grass/weed. It had
TOTALLY taken over my backyard which is very shaded. A few people had
posted about Ornamec to kill it. I had bought some, but didn't get around
to applying before winter came. Well, this spring the stilt grass was back
with a vengence. I finally mixed up the Ornamec and applied. It's been 1.5
weeks and 95% of the stilt grass is dead. The other 5% is showing alot of
damage, so it's hopefully on it's way out too.

I'd like to thank everyone here for pointing me in the right direction to
getting rid of this stilt grass. Now, how long should I wait before
deciding to do another application if it's not all gone???

lal

Where can you find this stuff? I have a whole woodsful of this stuff
I'd love to get rid of.

MAC
Old 29-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Marcy Hege

John Deere Landscaping is the only place I've found it in Raleigh. The Raleigh
location that carried it last year is located off Westinghouse Bouelvard.
There's also one located on 64 West of Apex.

Not cheap but it does the job.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:09 AM
ncstockguy

Ace Hardware carries Hi-Yield Grass Killer. The clerk said it was the
same thing as Poast, which is highly effective. I bought a bottle to
try out.When mixing it, I put in about a teaspoon of dish detergent to
help it stick to the grass better. It definitely works. The stilt
grass began to wilt in a few days and was dead in two weeks. Now
getting ready to apply round two to the new grass that's come up.
Also use corn gluten to discourage germination. Hopefully we will
reduce this nasty weed. It certainly is pervasive.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:10 AM
Marcy Hege

Does the Hi-Yield Grass Killer affect other types of plants such as perennials?

Old 02-06-2004, 09:13 PM
ncstockguy

The label has a long list of plants it is effective on, and also has a
list of plants you should not use it on. For the most part it kills
grasses. But a few other plants could be damaged by it.

Old 04-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

From another thread, I learned of Hi-Yield Grass Killer at Ace Hardware. I applied it all over my "back 40," which was covered in stilt grass waist high. I sprayed for nearly 2 hours and used most of the quart, also around $35, mixed exactly as recommended. Of course, this was last resort after pulling the grass since Sept 2001, when Colin Powell urged us to rip out terrorism by the root wherever we found it, and which I executed on the backyard invader I have come to call the "Tali-bamboo."

Taunting me with martinis from the deck, my husband laughed at what we both believed to be a futile final assault. For two weeks after, I did not see the greeny robustness of the weed but neither was it dead. But after a 2 week vacation, I returned to a field of DEAD stilt grass--I mean, DEAD AS A DOORNAIL DEAD. A month later I got around to raking up 15 bags of stilt grass hay, and I did not see a living leaf.

I applied the grass killer when no rain was forecast for a week because I did not want it to go into our creek. It killed nothing else around it; it's a wild area, mainly vines. I am planning to reapply as soon as it starts poking up next year and as needed after. I have spent so many hours on this grass that an hour or two of spraying is nothing, and if it does not get out of hand again, I won't have either the hand-pulling or raking to repeat either.

This grass showed up after Hurricane Fran, when this area was scoured by the over-flowing creek. I called it "hurricane grass" when it first came up. My neighbor thought it was great looking and still does. It's an easy-to-grow lawn, as far as he is concerned, and he just mows it.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:37 PM
mcdaniel

From another thread, I learned of Hi-Yield Grass Killer at Ace Hardware.
I applied it all over my "back 40," which was covered in stilt grass
waist high. I sprayed for nearly 2 hours and used most of the quart,
also around $35, mixed exactly as recommended. Of course, this was
last resort after pulling the grass since Sept 2001, when Colin Powell
urged us to rip out terrorism by the root wherever we found it, and
which I executed on the backyard invader I have come to call the
"Tali-bamboo."

--
mcdaniel
Old 05-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Marcy Hege

Really glad someone was able to get it under control this season. I didn't get
started on it as soon as it popped up and the Tali-bamboo got away from me
again this year.

Here's my resolution to start earlier spraying next summer and keep at it. The
stuff is nasty!

Old 05-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Raleighgirl

When should one start on it Marcy?