Old 01-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Mister Sensitive

Default Sawdust in lawn

I had to take down two enormous oak trees in my yard that had died (very
sad). In the process, I made an enormous amount of sawdust which threatens
to choke the grass lawn upon which it has lain. I have raked it out a good
bit so no patches are completely smothered by the sawdust, but I wanted to
inquire if there is something I should to help the sawdust decompose and
actually help the grass.

For those wondering about the oaks themselves, the were victims of two
different pressures. First, the drought of 98-02 stressed them out. Second,
we had a septic field put in around the roots. Although we were told the new
septic field technology doesn't require tree removal, it's pretty clear they
lost enough fibrous root to doom them.

Thanks in Advance for suggestions!

Old 01-06-2004, 07:07 PM

In article . net, Mister Sensitive wrote:
I had to take down two enormous oak trees in my yard that had died (very
sad). In the process, I made an enormous amount of sawdust which threatens
to choke the grass lawn upon which it has lain. I have raked it out a good
bit so no patches are completely smothered by the sawdust, but I wanted to
inquire if there is something I should to help the sawdust decompose and
actually help the grass.

For those wondering about the oaks themselves, the were victims of two
different pressures. First, the drought of 98-02 stressed them out. Second,
we had a septic field put in around the roots. Although we were told the new
septic field technology doesn't require tree removal, it's pretty clear they
lost enough fibrous root to doom them.

Thanks in Advance for suggestions!

I have never worried about hardwood sawdust that much. Pine is worse.
Raking, watering, and perhaps a light sprinkle high nitrogen fertilizer
sinced the composting process ties up nitrogen. If it is fescue you may
have to reseed in the fall in spots.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.

Old Sawdust - not about sawdust that's for sure Salty Thumb Gardening 0 30-04-2004 04:03 AM
Efficacy of sawdust, was, Old Sawdust David J Bockman Gardening 1 28-04-2004 08:06 PM
Fresh sawdust as soil amendment??? Joe Jamies United Kingdom 3 28-03-2003 02:32 AM
Fresh sawdust as soil amendment??? Joe Jamies Gardening 4 27-03-2003 07:56 PM
Sawdust emuir United Kingdom 26 04-01-2003 07:16 AM