Old 04-06-2004, 02:07 AM
Susan Hogarth

Default Auburn (AL) arboretum

I'm staying in Auburn this week, and I stopped by the arboretum last night - I
had to go back this morning to get pictures of the carnivorous plant collection
(everything was flowering) and this *wonderful* fungus I found at the base of a
magnolia (plus some turtles). I posted the pictures - unedited - click twice
because some of them have been resized 2x byy the gallery software (or just use
'slideshow'):

http://big-head-ed.com/gallery/view_...etum_june _04

--
Susan Hogarth
"The reason we can't find a relationship between the Constitution and the
Old 04-06-2004, 04:07 AM
Anne Lurie

Susan.

I can't say for sure, but I think the white things on the leaves in pictures
24 & 25(?) resemble the azalea galls I had on my older azaleas last year.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 04-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Susan Hogarth

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 01:29:32 GMT, in article
, Anne Lurie wrote:

Susan.

I can't say for sure, but I think the white things on the leaves in pictures
24 & 25(?) resemble the azalea galls I had on my older azaleas last year.

Oh, right - I forgot them. I love galls and always pester Bill to photograph
them on walks when he would prefer to look for snakes On this walk I was
alone, so snapped a few pictures. I am guessing they are insect rather than
fungal galls, but for some reason I didn't open any up or examine them more
carefully. They were just a side bonus between the fungus and the carnivorous
plants, like the turtles

Anyone have any idea what that lovely fungus is? It had the most extraordinary
texture - silky and smooth and yet leathery, with an almost liquid interior.