Old 04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
ncstockguy

Default what kind of grass have we here?

Would appreciate input from you grass experts. This is a bluish-green
grass coming up in bare spots in the mostly fescue lawn. There is
some bermuda in places, but I am not sure this is bermuda. Don't seem
to be any runners in these patches. photo is here
http://www.farmphoto.com/photography...+of+grass% 3F
Old 05-06-2004, 03:02 AM
Anne Lurie

I don't know what kind of grass this is, but I think that you can't control
it with any standard "weed & feed" -- so you might want to think about
using Roundup or something else on it, if you can target it accurately.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"ncstockguy" wrote in message
om...
Would appreciate input from you grass experts. This is a bluish-green
grass coming up in bare spots in the mostly fescue lawn. There is
some bermuda in places, but I am not sure this is bermuda. Don't seem
to be any runners in these patches. photo is here

http://www.farmphoto.com/photography...+kind+of+grass
%3F

Old 05-06-2004, 07:04 PM

In article , Anne Lurie wrote:
I don't know what kind of grass this is, but I think that you can't control
it with any standard "weed & feed" -- so you might want to think about
using Roundup or something else on it, if you can target it accurately.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"ncstockguy" wrote in message
om...
Would appreciate input from you grass experts. This is a bluish-green
grass coming up in bare spots in the mostly fescue lawn. There is
some bermuda in places, but I am not sure this is bermuda. Don't seem
to be any runners in these patches. photo is here

http://www.farmphoto.com/photography...+kind+of+grass
%3F

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like crabgrass which does
like to come up in bare spots. You can get a spray for crabgrass that
does not affect fescue. Here is a URL of lots of types of weed grasses.

If it is crabgrass you should see some runners but the fescue may be
inhititing it.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/weeds_common.html

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
ncstockguy

Thanks for the info. That's a cool weed identification site. New one
to bookmark. I'll be surprised if its crabgrass, but will give it
some time and see.
Thanks again. Now back to that site to see what other weeds are
popping up this time of year

Old 12-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Roxjohn

Definitely crabgrass. If you use a weed & feed in the spring, about
mid-march (a good one, like Scotts) it will keep the crabgrass from
sprouting for about 3 months. Then you can either apply again to keep
the crabgrass down (or use one with less nitrogen for mid-summer), or
something that just keeps seeds from sprouting (I've read corn gluten
will work, which I think can be purchased online or from a garden supply
like Southern States). We used a weed & feed this spring and don't have
NEAR the crabgrass we had last year and didn't even apply a second time,
so it really helps!

Old 12-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Roxjohn

Might be nice looking but crabgrass will eventually crowd out your good
grass because it is more aggressive and grows faster in the heat than
fescue. Then it is an annual sprouting yearly from 50,000 seeds PER
PLANT so it leaves dead places in your yard where it took over during
the summer that it will fill with even more crabgrass the next year.

Old 14-06-2004, 12:09 AM
ncstockguy

Yes, it's definitely crabgrass. Will be re-seeding that part of the
yard this fall and using corn gluten to keep that nasty stuff from
coming up early next spring. By the way you can get 50 pound bags of
corn gluten at THS Feeds in North Raleigh. I posted that here some
time time ago:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=co...gle.com&rnum=3
I just didn't use it on that area of the yard, naturally. It has
worked very well at keeping stilt grass down in the back areas,
though.
And have been using grass killer in the few spots where the stilt
grass managed to break through.