GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help! What is this?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/63717-help-what.html)

[email protected] 09-06-2004 03:23 PM

Help! What is this??

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone identify these bugs??? It appears to be just casings, but I
do not see the pest they belong to - these are ALL OVER my camellia-
I have a holly bush not 6 feet away and they are not on it - only the
camellia!! Pictures are below - thanks in advance for any help!! Jean
Scaraglino
[Image] [Image]

Marcy Hege 09-06-2004 03:23 PM

Help! What is this??

Send a text message if you want a reply.

[email protected] 09-06-2004 03:23 PM

Help! What is this??

Ok I will try again - I have on my entire camellia shrub what looks like
white insect casings approx 1/8 -14" long and white. NO insect that I
can see...just these white thingys ALL OVER the leaves. There is nothing
on my holly or my neighbor's gardenia's which are just 10 feet or less
across from the camellia! Does anyone have a clue or suggestion??
Thanks
Jean

Marcy Hege 09-06-2004 03:23 PM

Help! What is this??

Sorry but I don't know what it might be. Never had it on my camelias.

You might want to break off a piece with the casings, put in a plastic sandwich
bag and take to a local nursery for ID. You could also check with the Master
Gardener in your area.

[email protected] 09-06-2004 07:15 PM

Help! What is this??

FYI for anyone else who encounters this pest problem - it is mealbugs!!
Homewood Nursery was very helpful and recommended "ALL SEASONS SPRAY OIL" which is
also excellent( and Non-toxic) for thrips (another problem I had with tomato plants
curling at the top growth)
Jean
wrote:

Thanks I will do that ; - )