GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Scale insects, Help! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/63981-scale-insects-help.html)

moonpie 10-06-2004 05:44 PM

Scale insects, Help!

I have an ivy ( it may be english but not sure) as a house plant and it is infested with scale insects. I've read that just spraying the plant with insecticide won't work because they have a waxy coating. Any good, safe ideas for blasting them off my ivy?

[email protected] 10-06-2004 11:06 PM

Scale insects, Help!

In article , moonpie wrote:

I have an ivy ( it may be english but not sure) as a house plant and it
is infested with scale insects. I've read that just spraying the plant
with insecticide won't work because they have a waxy coating. Any
good, safe ideas for blasting them off my ivy?

Soapy water spray or if not too many leaves do them in mechanically with
your fingers. Just gently pinch the leaf and let it slide thru your
hands.

--
moonpie

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.

moonpie 11-06-2004 12:34 AM

Scale insects, Help!

Thanks,

quick question. do I need to rinse off the soap spray after it dries or what?

[email protected] 11-06-2004 03:07 PM

Scale insects, Help!

In article , moonpie wrote:

Thanks,

quick question. do I need to rinse off the soap spray after it dries
or what?

Not sure. I have always used it outside. If it leaves a residue then
you may want to rinse after the bugs have died. Just wetting the leaves
during watering is probably sufficient.