Old 17-06-2004, 01:05 AM

Default Flying beetles - how to get rid of them ?

Umm....newbie gardener plants' like roses : bud/leaves, persimmon leaves and
other plants are being eaten by these fingertip size beetles with greenish
casts. What can I use to get rids of them but leaving my plants and basils
safe enough to eat ? Thanks.
Old 17-06-2004, 07:08 PM

Daniel Barton wrote:

Buy a Japanese Beetle trap ...

Are you talking about Yoko Ono?

;-)

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD kuzen001 at acpub .duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

Old 17-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Jack Anderson

Japanese beetles make excellent fish bait. Bream and even rainbow trout will
eat them. They stay on the hook and keep well in one of those wire mesh
cricket boxes. If your neighbors have kids who like to fish, you might even
inspire them to catch your bugs.
"E Gregory" wrote in message
Umm....newbie gardener plants' like roses : bud/leaves, persimmon leaves

and
other plants are being eaten by these fingertip size beetles with

greenish
casts. What can I use to get rids of them but leaving my plants and

basils
safe enough to eat ? Thanks.

Feed them to your chickens.

Eileen

Old 17-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Anne Lurie

Well, it sounds as though you have Japanese Beetles (JB). Welcome to "the
club no gardener wants to join"

I don't know about the basil (mine has not yet been affected by JB), and I
don't use insecticides on leafy vegetables such as lettuce, basil, spinach,
etc. (although I cannot cite a scientific reason for that). For other
veggies, I recommend Sevin (carbaryl). Sevin is available in concentrated
liquid or dust; I recommend the liquid, simply because sprayers are *much*
easier to find than dusters.

BTW, I know that some people put the Sevin dust in an old sock to apply it,
but that was not practical for me, since I wanted to apply Sevin dust around
the perimeter of my house to stop an epidemic of millipedes (it helped.)

What ever insecticide you choose, make sure to read the label so you get one
meant for use on edible crops (as opposed to "systemic" insecticides which
remain in the plant).

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

. com...

Old 18-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Martha Stallmann

An entomologist friend tells me that the beetles eating my basil are brown
chafers, not japanese beetles. They will be gone in a few weeks, so to keep
the basil from being totally devoured until then, I'm going out at night to
pick them off and drop them into a bucket of soapy water. They also eat my
mint, but they love basil the best. I don't have marigolds this year, but
they were on the chafer menu last year. It seems that they like things with
scented foliage.
--
Martha Stallmann

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

. com...

Old 24-06-2004, 11:06 PM
MAC

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:25:51 -0400, "Charles Lanier"
wrote:

Ditto on the milky spore. We put it down 2 years ago over about an acre of
back yard and I have only seen a handfull of beetes this year. Normally our
roses and crepe myrtles would be completely shreaded by the little demons by
mid June.

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
Umm....newbie gardener plants' like roses : bud/leaves, persimmon leaves

and
other plants are being eaten by these fingertip size beetles with

greenish
casts. What can I use to get rids of them but leaving my plants and

basils
safe enough to eat ? Thanks.

Best method I have is that I pick 'em off the plants and drop them into
a ziploc baggie half filled with water and a drop or two of liquid dish
soap. When I'm done, I close it and toss it in the outside garbage can.

Japanese beetle traps are pretty useless. Lots of evidence that they
attract more beetles than they actually catch.

Long term - I put milky spore down on my yard two years ago. It really
seems to have cut down on the grubs this year. Milky spore takes awhile
to "kick in" but once it does, it lasts for years. It's not cheap, I
think I paid around $20 for the cannister, but it only takes one
application for years of benefit.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu

Milky spore is great, but be aware it'll kill the grubs of other
insects as well - such as fireflies. I thought long and hard about it
and decided to pick the little buggers off and drop them in mineral
spirits rather than use milky spore, because I really enjoy the
fireflies' twilight show each evening.

MAC
Old 04-08-2005, 01:48 AM
Registered User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Umm....newbie gardener plants' like roses : bud/leaves, persimmon leaves and
other plants are being eaten by these fingertip size beetles with greenish
casts. What can I use to get rids of them but leaving my plants and basils
safe enough to eat ? Thanks.
Here is a mixture that will work on anything and it kills the japanese beetles and also works to repel other pest.
Mix in a 1 gallon milk container fill it with 8 tablespoons of molasses then fill with hot water from the tap and shake it up. Then Put in 4 teaspoons of Lemon flavored dish washing liquid such as Lemon Joy. Then add 2 tablespoons of corn oil. Then when you are ready to use just shake and put some in a spray bottle and soak the plants down. I found this especially good for the herbs and leafy veggies that you eat because you dont want to use toxic chemicals on it. This works and it is not toxic. They drop dead instantly!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope this helps some of you enjoy!!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Baine Carruthers

The funny thing about your rememdy is that soap has a higher LD(lethal dose)
per unit than many commonly used garden pesticides.

Baine