Old 19-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Jo

Default Black Widow

I have quite a large on in my garden. Will it leave me alone if I leave it
alone?

Old 19-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Daniel B. Martin

Will it leave me alone if I leave it alone?

Yes.

Daniel B. Martin
Old 19-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Siouxzi

Oh no... black widows are known to be extremely aggressive predators,
and they hate people with a passion. If you got close enough to notice
that the spider does indeed have a red hourglass on its belly, then
you're very lucky that the little witch didn't leap onto your face and
deliver a painful and inevitably fatal bite.

OK, so I am an arachnophobe, and therefore prone to exaggeration on
this topic. But frankly, I wouldn't want them depositing egg sacs with
hundreds of babies in an area where I'm walking and squatting and
grabbing things. I'd squash her.

JMHO.

Sue

Old 20-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Jo

I have already lost a part of my leg from a Brown Recluse bite, so I join
you in the fear of spiders that can hurt a lot.
I have such a problem killing things but it is getting big and I saw a male
with her today.
I also have two pups and would hate one of them today.
I think I will blow her a kiss and send her over the Rainbow Bridge of
spiders..

Thanks again!

Jo

Old 21-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Anne Lurie

{{{Jo}}}

I recall meeting a woman (20 years ago, maybe) who said that the only time
being very obese was a good thing was because it probably saved her life
when she was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider. [I may be wrong about the
particular spider, but the woman is real, and she did tell me that body
mass/venom ration worked in her favor.]

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

.com...

Old 21-07-2004, 05:11 AM
Susan Hogarth

Siouxzi wrote:

Oh no... black widows are known to be extremely aggressive predators,
and they hate people with a passion. If you got close enough to notice
that the spider does indeed have a red hourglass on its belly, then
you're very lucky that the little witch didn't leap onto your face and
deliver a painful and inevitably fatal bite.

Painful, yes. "Inevitably fatal", no.

I shared my bathroom with one for weeks (it lived in the shower stall and/or
beind the toilet bowl) and we got along fine.

- Susan

--
Susan Hogarth
"Congress doesn't seem to know anything about the Constitution, which IS
Old 21-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Jack Anderson

A few years ago, I captured a female Black Widow in a Mason jar, where it
lived well for several weeks on a diet of crickets, which I offered every
couple of days.
Apparently she had mated before her capture because eggs were laid and
hatched into hundreds of baby BWs complete with tiny orange hourglasses.
It was both fascinating and scary because the babies were small enough to
escape through the vent holes in the jar lid!
I decided it was time to get out of "spider farming", so I gave them away to
a friend who teaches science.

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
.com...

Old 21-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Jo

I can relate to that one, but working on it :

I need to start a just say no to cheesecake campaign!

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
.com...
{{{Jo}}}

I recall meeting a woman (20 years ago, maybe) who said that the only time
being very obese was a good thing was because it probably saved her life
when she was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider. [I may be wrong about the
particular spider, but the woman is real, and she did tell me that body
mass/venom ration worked in her favor.]

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

.com...

Old 21-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Merle Finch

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:52:27 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

{{{Jo}}}

I recall meeting a woman (20 years ago, maybe) who said that the only time
being very obese was a good thing was because it probably saved her life
when she was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider. [I may be wrong about the
particular spider, but the woman is real, and she did tell me that body
mass/venom ration worked in her favor.]

I was bitten by at least a dozen of them in my early 20's. At that
time, I weighed about 105 pounds and was sick as a dog for about two
weeks. The dr quit counting bites when he reached 12, said I'd slept
in a nest of them. What happened was that my Grandma had transplanted
them from Las Vegas to the upper peninsula of Michigan. He said that
in the colder climate their venom couldn't get as toxic as it does in
hot climates. Otherwise, I'd have been even sicker.