Old 21-07-2004, 02:44 AM
Registered User

Location: Durham, NC
Angry squirrels in my tomatoes

Help! The little varmits are eating their way to tomatoe heaven through pepper spray, fox urine, and every other thing I've tried...So far, I've spent $60 and not eaten one single tomato!! Any suggestions???
__________________
Kat ~=^..^=~
Old 21-07-2004, 04:04 AM

Default squirrels in my tomatoes

Is it an english squirrel or a local one somewhere here in the triangle ?
Just curious - I have no answers. I see some here in my garden but they
don't touch any of my tomatoes or others...I didn't know that it's something
they do routinely - or maybe they like your tomato variety more than my
walmart tomatoes :-)

--
Kathie

Kat ~=^..^=~

Old 21-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Pauline Leveille

Thank goodness it isn't just my tomatoes! I have 2 tomato
plants on my porch, got one ripe tomato off of one, and then
my husband caught a squirrel sitting on the porch railing, eating
a green tomato. Within a week, every one of my tomatoes on
both plants were gone, and we caught the squirrels a couple of
times. I never even got a chance to try and outwit them.

Our theory - we have several bird feeders that are set up
to outwit the squrrels, we think it's retaliation!

Pauline

Old 21-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Bluebee Sky

Looks like I am not alone!even though I don't wish it this way!

I wait for my tomoatoes to become solid red, only to find the next day
that squirrel has had her share. So far I have two ripe tomatoes and
both were half eaten! And they also love to nibble on the neighboring
green ones!!

Sorry was of no help, I too am looking for suggestions,
BB

Old 21-07-2004, 08:11 PM

In article , wrote:

Is it an english squirrel or a local one somewhere here in the triangle ?
Just curious - I have no answers. I see some here in my garden but they
don't touch any of my tomatoes or others...I didn't know that it's something
they do routinely - or maybe they like your tomato variety more than my
walmart tomatoes :-)

Yes they will eat tomatoes. Watch out when walking under trees. I
almost hit by a falling tomato that the furry tailed rat dropped. I
don't think he threw it on purpose.

spam@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
Old 21-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Jo

I have been using the stinky coleus plants and it seems to keep them away
nicely.
I have also heard it called the Pee Off plant, UK interpretation I think.
The scientific name is Coleus canina.

Jo

Old 21-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Anne Lurie

Maybe the squirrels are thirsty, rather than hungry? You might try putting
out a dish with water for them. I sometimes see squirrels at my birdbath
dripper.

Anne

Old 22-07-2004, 03:13 AM
Kelly Garner

In article ,

The squirrels in my yard have kept me from getting even ONE
lousy peach from my tree for 6 years now, but I've never seen
them eating a tomato, and I've brought in LOTS this summer.

Not sure how much is LOTs but i got about 15 or so far from
the 1 BetterBoy and 1 Park plant that I've got and that's good
enough for me. Anyhow, I did noticed that the first few tomatoes

The fscking birds have been the ones that are getting at our tomatoes;
unfortunately, our dog doesn't stay outside all day to chase them and we have no
roaming cats (a good thing, I suppose, anyhow) who are wont to chase them either.
Now I just lob the pecked-at tomatoes into the trees and hope I'll hit a bird.

Cheers
KJ

--
---
"A photograph is neither taken nor seized by force. It offers itself up. It is