Old 23-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Jo

Default Tomato plants from stems?

A branch from a tree hit one of my tomato plants last week. (heavy wind,
small branch) and broke off a piece.
It was covered in flowers and I thought it still looked pretty so I placed
it in a vase with some other goodies.
Well it took root and is growing. I have never heard of this before. Has
anyone else?

Old 23-07-2004, 09:02 PM

Jo wrote:
A branch from a tree hit one of my tomato plants last week. ..
it in a vase with some other goodies.
Well it took root and is growing. I have never heard of this before. Has
anyone else?

I've rooted cherry tomato vines--long story. Worked well;
I used that growth-promoter stuff on them. Never tried it
with regular tomatos, though.

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD kuzen001 at acpub .duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

Old 24-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Anne Lurie

Oh, yeah, tomato plants *live* to root wherever and whenever they can!!!
This is why some people plant leggy tomato seedlings "sideways" rather than
digging deep holes for them.

If you look closely at the tomato plants in your garden, I *think* that the
bumps on the lower stem are roots just waiting for a chance.

Also, I tie up my tomatoes & pull off suckers; many of the well-developed
suckers have been planted & gone on to produce tomatoes.

Anne Lurie
[knee deep in tomatoes]
NE Raleigh

.com...

Old 24-07-2004, 07:11 AM

Most of my herbs except corianders, some plants including wild muscadines
grew root and prospered after a few days of "rooting" in a water cup. They
grow roots even better in the MiracleGrow solution as I found.
Hadn't tried it on tomatoes cause they are easy to get - but since it's also
a "vine" plant...