Old 06-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Siouxzi

Default Pruning a fig tree?

We have a so-called "Turkish brown fig" tree--hubby is Turkish and
resents the name, because the varieties of figs we knew in Turkey are
larger and yummier and more colorful (bright green or red) than this
one can produce (pale yellow-tan when ripe, but they do taste good).
Anyway, it has been growing fast and furious for 3 years now. Too
furious. Near the edge of the woods, it could probably do better in
the open with a full day of sun, but like everything else on our
property it has grown UP. Probably 12-15 feet tall now. Which means
that many of the small but decent tasting fruits are out of reach.

Would it be a good idea to prune the tree? When--this fall, well after
the fruiting is done? Any tips on where to cut, and how severe is too
severe? I'd like to have a fuller tree with more fruits in reach next
summer!

Thanks
Sue
Old 06-08-2004, 06:54 PM
E Gregory

Siouxzi wrote:
[...]

Sue, Sorry I don't know about pruning yuor fig tree. I've never pruned
mine and it seems fine. Anyway, to put your mind (and your Turkish
husband's) at peace I wanted to mention that I'm pretty sure that the
fig is named Brown Turkey Fig. How's that?
Eileen
Old 06-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Patti2cat

I'm pretty sure that the
fig is named Brown Turkey Fig. BRBR

That's the name I've always heard, too.

Patti
Old 07-08-2004, 03:12 PM

In article , Patti2cat wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the
fig is named Brown Turkey Fig. BRBR

That's the name I've always heard, too.

Patti

That is the name these folks use. Must be named after the bird and not
the country. Commercially bred turkeys have given the bird a bad name,
because they are bred for size and speed of growth. Ben Franklin wanted
the wild turkey as the national bird because he thought it to be smarter
than the eagle. I understand they are a challenge to hunt.

http://www.paradisenursery.com/gourmetfigs.html

is a garbage address.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:20 PM
dookie

yes, prune!

according to my 'nc gardener's guide' they are 'not picky' about pruning,
and the right time is 'after winter dieback'. figs are produced on last
year's growth, so keep that in mind too. it also says to remove suckers
sprouting from the base, and to completely remove canes that are more than a
few years old.

that said, my experience has been that without strong direct sun the harvest
tends to be rather modest. they definitely respond well to pruning! i cut
mine pretty much to the ground two years ago and it's 20' tall and bushy
today. i find they seem to be heavy feedrs too, and that a good dose of
fertilizer in the spring really helps fruit production.

fwiw,

dookie

Old 09-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Siouxzi

Thanks Dookie, and everyone, for your helpful input. I will prune and
fertilize my 'brown Turkey".
They figs are yummy, and can be eaten with skins on to avoid the
frustration of trying to skin them. :^)

Sue

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 15:20:52 GMT, "dookie"
wrote:

yes, prune!

according to my 'nc gardener's guide' they are 'not picky' about pruning,
and the right time is 'after winter dieback'. figs are produced on last
year's growth, so keep that in mind too. it also says to remove suckers
sprouting from the base, and to completely remove canes that are more than a
few years old.

that said, my experience has been that without strong direct sun the harvest
tends to be rather modest. they definitely respond well to pruning! i cut
mine pretty much to the ground two years ago and it's 20' tall and bushy
today. i find they seem to be heavy feedrs too, and that a good dose of
fertilizer in the spring really helps fruit production.

fwiw,

dookie

.. .

Old 11-08-2004, 05:27 AM
BONEUNIT

They figs are yummy, and can be eaten with skins on to avoid the
frustration of trying to skin them. :^)

Try them Grilled and served with a Gorgonzola with greens and balsamic.
YUMMMMY

Holly

Carpobrotus Edulis AKA Ice Plant, Hottentot Fig, Kaffir Fig Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 24-03-2010 06:54 AM
Need advice on pruning young fig tree [email protected] Gardening 2 13-04-2006 07:13 PM
Pruning Fig Tree Brandon Gardening 7 20-01-2006 12:48 AM
pruning a fig Siouxzi North Carolina 9 04-11-2005 01:16 AM
Fig Pruning Cheema Gardening 0 07-04-2004 10:02 PM