Old 07-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Will Khairo

Default Crabgrass

My yard is infested with crabgrass. Since last year I have been applying
pre-emergent control in early spring but the crabgrass keeps on increasing
every year. This summer, I sprayed the lawn with Bonide Crabgrass and Weed
Killer. It killed some of the crabgrass but it started to grow again. Now I am
manually uprooting as much as I can of it but am not catching up. Any advice?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Baine Carruthers

If you have a nice thick established lawn in the early spring, there is no
need for crabgrass preventer early. Wait until May, June, or later and then
apply your preventer. This should carry you through to fall. A good choice
for control is Dimension. It has some postemergent properties. Also be sure
what you are calling crabgrass is in fact crabgrass. Many people mistake
other grassy weeds such as dalisgrass for crabgrass. Dalisgrass is a
perennial.

I have found that generally crabgrass is a problem on established tall
fescue lawns with people who mow too short and/or those with a lot of
traffic problems.

Now through middle of Sept. is a good time to use Roundup or Finale for
control. Roundup would be a better choice for perennial weeds such as
dalisgrass or bermuda.

--
Baine

Old 08-08-2004, 05:30 PM

In article , Baine Carruthers wrote:
If you have a nice thick established lawn in the early spring, there is no
need for crabgrass preventer early. Wait until May, June, or later and then
apply your preventer. This should carry you through to fall. A good choice
for control is Dimension. It has some postemergent properties. Also be sure
what you are calling crabgrass is in fact crabgrass. Many people mistake
other grassy weeds such as dalisgrass for crabgrass. Dalisgrass is a
perennial.

I have found that generally crabgrass is a problem on established tall
fescue lawns with people who mow too short and/or those with a lot of
traffic problems.

Now through middle of Sept. is a good time to use Roundup or Finale for
control. Roundup would be a better choice for perennial weeds such as
dalisgrass or bermuda.

But remember if you use roundup then you will HAVE to reseed, but it
sounds like that is what is needed anyway.

is a garbage address.

Crabgrass Preventer Ralph Therien Gardening 4 19-07-2003 01:12 PM
CRABGRASS! JNJ Gardening 2 09-05-2003 07:20 PM
Pre-emergent crabgrass killer David S Lawns 1 17-04-2003 12:32 PM
Correct ground temperature for Crabgrass preventer application Scott Lawns 3 13-04-2003 10:08 PM
seed in fall before spring crabgrass preventer? E Gardener Gardening 5 28-01-2003 12:14 AM