Old 12-09-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Triangular spider in the triangle

What kinds of spider is triangular in body shape and exist here in this region ?
Google didn't show much results except for australian spiders.
I can't get a good focus on it with my digital camera but it looks like this:
http://display.homeunix.org/spider1.jpg
http://display.homeunix.org/spider2.jpg
reddish color in shape with yellowish/gold belly marking.
Thanks for any info.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Anne Lurie

That critter looks pretty small! Try searching Google Images for "spider
mites" to see if it turns up anything. (BTW, the google tool bar makes it
simple to search directly for pictures; you can download it from the Google
website.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

m...

Old 13-09-2004, 12:22 AM

It's about the size of one of my finger nail (not the thumb or little finger).
I didn't think spider mites are that large and can spin webs.
Anyhow, my primary concern is whether it's poisonous or not...
I'll check to see if it's a spider mites or not though.

Anne Lurie wrote:
That critter looks pretty small! Try searching Google Images for "spider
mites" to see if it turns up anything. (BTW, the google tool bar makes it
simple to search directly for pictures; you can download it from the Google
website.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

m...

Old 13-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Brent Harsh

It's about the size of one of my finger nail (not the thumb or little finger).
I didn't think spider mites are that large and can spin webs.
Anyhow, my primary concern is whether it's poisonous or not...
I'll check to see if it's a spider mites or not though.

http://www.uq.edu.au/~xxrraven/allspids.html (do a "find" for
"triangular" on the page.

Along with a picture that looks a bit like yours, it says:

Triangular Spiders (Arkys species, fam. Araneidae) have triangular or
heart-shaped bodies that are red, yellow, or orange and have white or
yellow spots. The legs span about a one cent coin. The head, body, and
legs are all one colour. Arcys hunt amongst the foliage of shrubs and
captures prey with the first two pairs of legs, which are heavily
spined. Recorded bites have caused only redness and swelling.

Anne Lurie wrote:

That critter looks pretty small! Try searching Google Images for "spider
mites" to see if it turns up anything. (BTW, the google tool bar makes it
simple to search directly for pictures; you can download it from the Google
website.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

. com...

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.
Old 13-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Woozy

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:28:29 GMT,
wrote:

What kinds of spider is triangular in body shape and exist here in this region ?
Google didn't show much results except for australian spiders.
I can't get a good focus on it with my digital camera but it looks like this:
http://display.homeunix.org/spider1.jpg
http://display.homeunix.org/spider2.jpg
reddish color in shape with yellowish/gold belly marking.
Thanks for any info.

Looks to me like a Micrathena -- more specifically, an arrow shaped
micrathena.

kj

Old 13-09-2004, 06:46 PM

Cool, thanks !
I think you got the right species - search showed similar looking photos and
description of the web look right as well. Thanks much.

Old 13-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Anne Lurie

It was the size of the leaf that threw me off -- the critter looked teeny
against the leaf. Sorry about that! Those must be big, big leaves (or I
totally missed the bug).

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 14-09-2004, 02:10 AM

Oh, no problem. Thanks for the attempt to help!
Not everything I tried to grow this year grew but the ones that did did
pretty well by my standard. Those was sweet potatoes leaves.

T.K