Old 04-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

From another thread, I learned of Hi-Yield Grass Killer at Ace Hardware. I applied it all over my "back 40," which was covered in stilt grass waist high. I sprayed for nearly 2 hours and used most of the quart, also around $35, mixed exactly as recommended. Of course, this was last resort after pulling the grass since Sept 2001, when Colin Powell urged us to rip out terrorism by the root wherever we found it, and which I executed on the backyard invader I have come to call the "Tali-bamboo."

Taunting me with martinis from the deck, my husband laughed at what we both believed to be a futile final assault. For two weeks after, I did not see the greeny robustness of the weed but neither was it dead. But after a 2 week vacation, I returned to a field of DEAD stilt grass--I mean, DEAD AS A DOORNAIL DEAD. A month later I got around to raking up 15 bags of stilt grass hay, and I did not see a living leaf.

I applied the grass killer when no rain was forecast for a week because I did not want it to go into our creek. It killed nothing else around it; it's a wild area, mainly vines. I am planning to reapply as soon as it starts poking up next year and as needed after. I have spent so many hours on this grass that an hour or two of spraying is nothing, and if it does get out of hand again, I won't have either the hand-pulling or raking to repeat either.

This grass showed up after Hurricane Fran, when this area was scoured by the over-flowing creek. I called it "hurricane grass" when it first came up. My neighbor thought it was great looking and still does. It's an easy-to-grow lawn, as far as he is concerned, and he just mows it.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Registered User

I am stressed out because I'm losing my grass (zoysia and fescue) to Bermuda grass. I've heard many mixed things about what to do so now I'm confused. The latest I've heard is that Ornamec works best and doesn't destroy my grass. Can someone give me some advice? I live in Apex, NC and don't know where I can buy Ornamec.

Thank you!
NCJellybean