Old 30-09-2004, 10:26 PM

Default Nurseries around Raleigh

Hi,

We are planning to purchase a couple of trees this weekend. Probably a
Japanese Maple, Magnolia and a weeping willow. Could anybody suggest a
few good nurseries around the Raleigh area? Apart from plant quality,
we want somebody who can give suggestions about planting and caring
for the trees, and give basic landscaping ideas. Any help will be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

- Al
Old 02-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Penny Morgan

You could try Garden Supply on Old Apex Rd. in Cary, Logan's Trading
Company, or Homewood Nursery on Honeycutt Rd.. They are all reputable
nurseries, but you can expect to pay a hefty price. You might want to try
asking for a better price on all three as you shop around for the best price
(let them know that). If they really want your business, they'll drop a
little. They are still making a nice profit. As far as advice on
landscaping ideas, it's really a hit or miss with the person you get to help
you. Otherwise, they will recommend you consult with their Landscape
Designer (hourly rates vary from $50-80).

The best questions you can ask a Can the tree take wet or dry conditions?
How much sun or shade will be best and whether it's morning or afternoon
sun? How fast will it grow? Is it invasive with it's root system? Is it
prone to any pests or diseases and do I need to spray it? Do I need to
fertilize with a certain type and when do I fertilize?

From my own personal experience, I know that Japanese Maples prefer morning
sun and afternoon shade, and Magnolia's and Weeping Willows prefer full sun
(all day). Weeping Willows prefer wet areas.

By planting your trees now, you are giving them a good chance for their root
systems to get down deep throughout the cooler months. This enables them to
tolerate a hot summer without stressing them out. Water them about twice a
week initially (soak them deeply), then you can let them alone for the
winter. I would do this for at least the 1st month or longer if we have
warm days. If we get a long spell of no rain, then water as necessary in
the winter months. I've never had a tree die after planting in the fall.

I hope I didn't inundate you with too much information. Good luck on your
tree shopping.

Penny
North Raleigh
om...