GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need massive amount of mulch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/85460-need-massive-amount-mulch.html)

Gene Hubert 24-10-2004 08:48 PM

Need massive amount of mulch

I need a massive amount of mulch of something that will break down
within about a year. Like hay or straw or leaves. I don't want wood
chips. I don't care if the leaves were composted or fresh.

Does anyone know where this could be had? I would need it delivered
to north Durham.

I've considered buying some of those large round bales of hay but
they're fairly pricey and small bales cost even more. If I could find
some hay that was no longer good for cow food that would be ideal.

Thanks much,
Gene H.

Raleighgirl 24-10-2004 11:22 PM

Most horse barns use wood shavings rather than chips. It most
certainly would be free except maybe delivery. Check your local
barn- I'd bet they'd be glad to share!
Raleighgirl
om...

JD 25-10-2004 06:27 AM

How much hardwood mulch would you need? I have access to triple shredded
mulch that would be affordable and would disintegrate in about 9-10 months.

Give me a cubic yard figure.

Jason

C G 25-10-2004 04:26 PM

JD wrote:

How much hardwood mulch would you need? I have access to triple shredded
mulch that would be affordable and would disintegrate in about 9-10 months.

It would? That's news to me. Also goes counter to my experience. The
triple shreaded that I put down last fall is still there. Guess you've
got some that's already started decomposing?

[email protected] 26-10-2004 08:32 PM

On 2004-10-25, C G wrote:
JD wrote:

How much hardwood mulch would you need? I have access to triple shredded
mulch that would be affordable and would disintegrate in about 9-10 months.

It would? That's news to me. Also goes counter to my experience. The
triple shreaded that I put down last fall is still there. Guess you've
got some that's already started decomposing?

I would suspect that water is a factor. A level area would probably
decompose faster than a sloped area. Depth would also be a factor. I
can't see more than a couple inches composting in a year.

is a garbage address.

Penny Morgan 27-10-2004 01:10 AM

If you call the Raleigh Waste Center on New Hope Rd., you can get pricing
for leaf mulch. I think it's $12 per pickup load which equates to about 2.5
cubic yards. I hired a guy with a dump truck to haul 2 loads for a total of
10 yards of leaf mulch. This covers 1,000 square feet with 2-3 inches of
leaf mulch. It breaks down naturally and feeds the plants. The dump truck
guy charged $60/hr and it took about 4 hours total to deliver everything and
dump it.

So for about $300, I got lots of good compost/leaf mulch and covered huge
areas with it. Hope this helps.

Penny
N. Raleigh