Old 09-01-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Need advice: tiller.

I am looking for dependable but not very expensive tiller for my
garden. I've just got offer in the mail for Mantis tiller but it does
not look powerful enough and seems overpriced for such size of machine.
I do not know much about tillers since I am just starting my first
garden season. I will appreciate any advices about these machines.
Also will consider used machine in good working condition if somebody
want to sell it for reasonable price.
Thanks,
Genya.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Raleighgirl

wrote in message
ups.com...
| I am looking for dependable but not very expensive tiller for
my
| garden. I've just got offer in the mail for Mantis tiller but
it does
| not look powerful enough and seems overpriced for such size of
machine.
| I do not know much about tillers since I am just starting my
first
| garden season. I will appreciate any advices about these
machines.
| Also will consider used machine in good working condition if
somebody
| want to sell it for reasonable price.
| Thanks,
| Genya.

My advice Genya, is to rent one until you are sure how much
you'll use it, etc. Depending on your soil, you may not even
need to till the garden every year. We bought one a couple of
years ago and have kind of regretted it ever since because it
takes up alot of room in the garage + is just one more machine
to have to maintain.
Raleighgirl

Old 09-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Daniel B. Martin

I will appreciate any advices about these machines.
I agree with the advice already offered by Don and Jeny.

If your garden spot has never been tilled, you may find the soil quite
hard. The first time you till will be the hardest. Each time
afterward it will be easier, much easier. Therefore you may want to
rent a large powerful tiller for that first time. A small machine may
suffice thereafter.

I scoffed at the Mantis when I first saw it. It looked like a toy,
hopelessly inadquate. Then I used a borrowed Mantis. Experience
taught that my first impression was wrong. The Mantis is a buzzy
little beast but it digs like fury! It is lightweight so it is easy to
pick up and carry. It fits in a car trunk without a struggle.

You might also consider a Honda mini-tiller. This machine is similar
to the Mantis in size and weight. I bought a used one at a garage sale
and am happy with it.

Daniel B. Martin
Old 10-01-2005, 02:26 AM

Thank all of you for your valuable advise the tiller!! We will
rent, then decide:-) Thank you! Genya