GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need advice: starting seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/89308-need-advice-starting-seeds.html)

[email protected] 29-01-2005 09:30 PM

Need advice: starting seeds

I am starting my first garden season here in NC. I want to start some
seeds indoor (flowers, herbs and some vegetables like peppers and
tomatoes). When is the best time to start them? Should I have already
started my tomato and other seeds that say to start them
6-7 weeks before last frost date? Do I need to use grow light for this
or it is not necessary?
Thank you,
Genya

Newt 30-01-2005 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by
I am starting my first garden season here in NC. I want to start some
seeds indoor (flowers, herbs and some vegetables like peppers and
tomatoes). When is the best time to start them? Should I have already
started my tomato and other seeds that say to start them
6-7 weeks before last frost date? Do I need to use grow light for this
or it is not necessary?
Thank you,
Genya

Hi Genya,

You should find these sites helpful.

Flowers - perennials and annuals
http://www.muextension.missouri.edu/...ort/g06570.htm
http://theseedsite.co.uk/
http://www.savvygardener.com/Feature..._calendar.html
http://www.chestnut-sw.com/seedhp.htm
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/wtrsow/
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow/

Veggie info:
http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/Off...g/OTV4SEED.htm
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html
http://www.savvygardener.com/Feature..._calendar.html
http://www.gardenersnet.com/veggies.htm
http://www.explore.cornell.edu/scene...0a%20Vegetable
http://www.savvygardener.com/Feature...egetables.html

That should get you started. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Do keep in mind that paying attention to the soil (when planting in the garden) is most important. Healthy soil that has been amended with compost will give you healthier plants that will be better able to withstand stress, pests and diseases.

Knowing your hardiness zone will be helpful.
http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/zip.cgi

Newt

Newt 30-01-2005 06:43 AM

http://tinyurl.com/5nhtr
http://theseedsite.co.uk/
http://tinyurl.com/7ya7c
http://www.chestnut-sw.com/seedhp.htm
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/wtrsow/
http://tinyurl.com/6jnps

Veggie info:
http://tinyurl.com/5bmo7
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html
http://tinyurl.com/4fgs6
http://www.gardenersnet.com/veggies.htm
http://tinyurl.com/67sk8
http://tinyurl.com/4xudm

--
Newt

[email protected] 31-01-2005 03:06 AM

Thank you a lot for gardening links. I will certainly use this
information. I live in Creedmoor, NC and according last link I am in
zone 7. I do not know the date of last frost for this area. Maybe
somebody can help me to figure this out.

Daniel B. Martin 31-01-2005 03:27 AM

wrote:
I do not know the date of last frost for this area.

On average, 4/29. Sometimes Mother Nature plays tricks on us.

See
http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/nc.html

Daniel B. Martin

[email protected] 31-01-2005 02:24 PM

I just started lettuce, spinach, and parsley indoors last week in a
plastic green house (My mother-in-law, who has given me some very
strange gifts in the past, gave me a four foot high, three shelf,
plastic green house for Christmas last year - and it works great).
After a few weeks I'll move the plants outside on nice days for a
couple of hours. Once the plants are used to being outside, I'll move
them to the garden. I built a little 4x8x4 greenhouse out of pvc and
plastic. I'll put the plastic cover on when there is suppose to be
freezing temps.

As for tomatoes/peppers, here is what I do:

I start the seeds indoors in those black plastic seed trays at the end
of Feb. I put the trays in my green house (before the green house, I
put the trays on top of the refrig). When the plants have a few leaves
(4-6 leaves) I tranplant to clear plastic cups carefully only touching
the soil and not the plant. I put a couple of holes on the side near
the bottom of the cups for drainage. Once the plants get big enough and
the days are sunny, I move the plants outside for a few hours. Once the
plants are big enough and the days are warm enough (usually around
beginning of April), I transplant the plants the black plastice pots
that you get from garden centers. I leave the plants outside. The one
thing I learned is that tomatoes and peppers love warm soil. The black
plastic pots do the trick until the garden soil is warm enough - I need
to water them just about every day. Around the beginning of May, I move
the plants to the garden. Once in the garden, I cover the soil with
something. Last year it was newspaper with grass clippings on top. That
worked well until the grass clipping started to decompose and my grass
stopped growing. This year I might try leaves or black plastic.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Newt 31-01-2005 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by
Thank you a lot for gardening links. I will certainly use this
information. I live in Creedmoor, NC and according last link I am in
zone 7. I do not know the date of last frost for this area. Maybe
somebody can help me to figure this out.

Genya, you are very welcome!

Quote:

On average, 4/29. Sometimes Mother Nature plays tricks on us.

See http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/nc.html

Daniel B. Martin
Daniel, great link.

Newt

Newt 31-01-2005 02:32 PM

Wrote:
Thank you a lot for gardening links. I will certainly use this
information. I live in Creedmoor, NC and according last link I am in
zone 7. I do not know the date of last frost for this area. Maybe
somebody can help me to figure this out.

Genya, you are very welcome!

On average, 4/29. Sometimes Mother Nature plays tricks on us.

See
http://tinyurl.com/4ntfe

Daniel B. Martin

Daniel, great link.

Newt

--
Newt

Penny Morgan 04-02-2005 01:59 PM

The frost cutoff date here is April 15th. You can start your seed planting
anytime now. I start mine in a seed starting mix or good potting mix.
Don't use the cheap potting soil that feels like it's pure dirt. I set up a
folding table in my bonus room that gets nice afternoon sun (positioning it
in front of the windows). You don't have to use a grow light if you have
plenty of natural light. I also cover the mix with a piece of plastic wrap
to keep it moist during germination. Once they sprout, I uncover and turn
on my ceiling fan to make sure there is good circulation of air - otherwise
they may rot. Once the temps are 70 and above in daytime hours, start
moving them out into a shady spot for a few hours for a week, then increase
the time they remain outside. They will toughen up quickly. I feed mine a
fish emulsion fertilizer and they are gorgeous. Hope this helps answer your
questions.

Good Luck,

Penny
N. Raleigh
oups.com...

[email protected] 06-02-2005 03:54 AM

Thanks a lot for all responses. I am going to start seeds now.
I also have doubts about quality of the soil in my garden. I've just
found out that it mostly sand. I'm thinking now about how to improve
soil without spending too much money. The topsoil that stores sell in
the plastic bags is too expensive to cover all garden area. It is more
practical to do it by adding compost but it will take some time. What
else can be done?
Thanks,
Genya.

Newt 06-02-2005 07:40 PM

Wrote:
Thanks a lot for all responses. I am going to start seeds now.
I also have doubts about quality of the soil in my garden. I've just
found out that it mostly sand. I'm thinking now about how to improve
soil without spending too much money. The topsoil that stores sell in
the plastic bags is too expensive to cover all garden area. It is more
practical to do it by adding compost but it will take some time. What
else can be done?
Thanks,
Genya.

Hi Genya,

The best way to build up your soil and improve the tilth (condition) is
with organic material. You don't need to purchase topsoil. If you add
finished compost you don't have to wait to plant. Bagged compost would
probably be less expensive then bagged top soil, and if you have a large
area to cover you could purchase the compost in bulk to be delivered to
you, which is even less expensive then bagged. If that isn't to your
liking, you could do lasagna beds (also called sheet composting or
interbay mulch) that should be ready by the time you are ready to put
out your veggies. Basically is involves building a compost pile in
layers where you want to plant. You don't even have to turn it into
the soil, but could plant your transplants directly intoit. This
should be helpful.
http://tinyurl.com/22hp5
http://tinyurl.com/37rht

For more info on improving your soil take a look here.
http://tinyurl.com/69rfy
http://tinyurl.com/5s8xh

Newt

--
Newt

Newt 06-02-2005 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by
[...]

http://www.motherearthnews.com/menar...173-050-01.htm
http://www.bconnex.net/~carolw/lasagna1.html

For more info on improving your soil take a look here.
http://soils.usda.gov/sqi/soil_quali...gy_primer.html
http://www.soilfoodweb.com/sfi_html/...ach/index.html

Newt

[email protected] 07-02-2005 05:11 PM

Unfortunately last link does not work but rest are Great links! Thank
you Newt! I like the idea to use lasagna beds. I have plenty tree
leaves on the ground that I can use as compost for these beds. I think
it will work.

Genya

Newt wrote:
[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

Newt 07-02-2005 11:51 PM

Newt wrote:-
[...]

120,000+ Newsgroups-
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via
Encryption-
=----

Hi Genya,
You are very welcome! And, I'd like to thank you for letting me know
about the link that isn't working. I went to the site main page:
http://www.soilfoodweb.com/
and it's under construction. I'd say to save the this link and check
back from time to time. I don't remember if the info was archived or a
article in the news, but you will be looking specifically on an article
about approach. Hope that helps.

There are also other things you can do with leaves. If you have a
shredder or a lawnmower with a bagger, you can shred them and use them
as mulch or compost them to make 'leaf mold'.
http://tinyurl.com/7x7dz

Good luck with your new garden beds!
Newt

--