GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Japanese Stilt Grass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/89948-japanese-stilt-grass.html)

Michael 17-02-2005 08:12 PM

Japanese Stilt Grass

Another quick question: I've got a bunch of Japanese Stilt Grass
(microstegium vimineum) in my back yard. I've been looking into ways to
get rid of it, and read a bit about Plateau (apparently no longer marketed
for private use) and other herbicides' effectiveness against it. I'm
wondering if anyone has any tips for getting rid of it, or at least
clearing it out of the way for a garden bed. Thanks!

Michael

[email protected] 17-02-2005 11:09 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:12:31 -0500 in . unc.edu Michael wrote:

Another quick question: I've got a bunch of Japanese Stilt Grass
(microstegium vimineum) in my back yard. I've been looking into ways to
get rid of it, and read a bit about Plateau (apparently no longer marketed
for private use) and other herbicides' effectiveness against it. I'm
wondering if anyone has any tips for getting rid of it, or at least
clearing it out of the way for a garden bed. Thanks!

Seven years of pulling it late in the season but before it
produces seeds.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidance -- Brazil

ncstockguy 19-02-2005 08:53 PM

You have to either keep it from coming up with a pre-emergent or cut
it or pull it before it sends out its millions of seeds. It is an
annual. So it dies back in the winter. You can also just kill it with
roundup but of course that kills everything else. There are selective
grass killers out there that work too.

Kira Dirlik 20-02-2005 04:18 PM

I've got a bunch of Japanese Stilt Grass
(microstegium vimineum) in my back yard. I've been looking into ways to
get rid of it,

Seven years of pulling it late in the season but before it
produces seeds.
Chris Dukes

You may think Chris is being facitious, but that is what I have been
doing the last 4 years or so. I would have started sooner (and had
less area to pull) if I knew it would work so well. I have found that
where I have pulled 2000 plants in an area 10 x 10', only 4 or 5 will
come up the next year. Very easy and quick to keep the areas you
already did, free and clear. I tackle a larger area every year and
will soon have it done. Unfortunately all the neighbors do not do
theirs, and down by the pond is hopelessly thick and extensive, but
from the house I have beautiful, clean views of the woods now.
Kira

[email protected] 21-02-2005 05:29 PM

On 2005-02-17, Michael wrote:

Another quick question: I've got a bunch of Japanese Stilt Grass
(microstegium vimineum) in my back yard. I've been looking into ways to
get rid of it, and read a bit about Plateau (apparently no longer marketed
for private use) and other herbicides' effectiveness against it. I'm
wondering if anyone has any tips for getting rid of it, or at least
clearing it out of the way for a garden bed. Thanks!

Michael

I believe the grass herbicide I used is Vantage. It worked well. The
good news is you have all summer to combat it since it seeds in Late
Sept. ONe option would be to pull up as much as you can and spray the
rest in early sept. Besure to follow label directions when sparying.

is a garbage address.

dookie 25-02-2005 02:32 AM

Ornamec worked great for me...non-toxic to everything except grasses.
Killed stiltgrass only, while intermingled with several varieties of fern
and wildflowers. A serious chemical however...not for the hardcore
eco-friendlies. Got mine at Southern States.

dookie

lab.unc.edu...