Old 12-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Michael

Default Vine I Can't Identify

There's a vine in my yard that I'm trying to identify and I've had no luck
so far. Here are two pictures of a section of it:

http://tinyurl.com/3uhfu
http://tinyurl.com/4m4u3

We just moved into our home last year; prior to that the yard had, for
several years, been almost completely unattended. We're in no great rush
to change that, but as we put in garden beds and flower beds, we find more
and more of this stuff. You can yank one end and pull yards upon yards of
it at a time without ever getting to a root - the stem breaks well before
you find the source. That we are both ignorant of it doesn't make it
special, it just means we're ignorant and we have no idea whether it's a
good plant, a bad plant or a neutral plant. For now we pull it wherever
we need to clear space for something else - where the berry bushes have
gone, where the vegetable beds have gone, etc. Getting it out of the way,
though, fails to satisfy that strongest of curiosities for us both: the
question of what, exactly, is it?

Thank you!

Michael
Durham, NC
Old 12-04-2005, 11:22 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:12:57 -0400 in . unc.edu Michael wrote:

[...]

Looks like the white/yellow type of honeysuckle.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 13-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Steve

In article . unc.edu,
Michael wrote:
There's a vine in my yard that I'm trying to identify and I've had no luck
so far. Here are two pictures of a section of it:

Japanese Honeysuckle.

good plant, a bad plant or a neutral plant. For now we pull it wherever

A bad plant. The flowers are nice, but it is an invasive exotic that
spreads rampantly (both by runners and by seed), smothering trees and
shrubs and pretty much taking over the area.

--
Steve