Old 14-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Susan Hogarth

Default Squirrels in potted plants

Heya, all

My mother is having fits because after she gave up on having potted
plants on her porch because of squirrel trouble, people have started to
give her plants (noticing that she didn't have any). Now she feels
obligated to try again.

The squirrel(s) in question gets nuts from a neighbor, then buries them
in my mother's planters, tearing up the plants in the process.

Any suggestions?

- Susan

Old 14-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Jo

"Susan Hogarth" wrote in message
oups.com...
Heya, all

My mother is having fits because after she gave up on having potted
plants on her porch because of squirrel trouble, people have started to
give her plants (noticing that she didn't have any). Now she feels
obligated to try again.

The squirrel(s) in question gets nuts from a neighbor, then buries them
in my mother's planters, tearing up the plants in the process.

Any suggestions?

- Susan

I have been using a repellent that has fox urine around the plants I have
and it works really well.

Jo

Old 14-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Bluebee

I remember having the similar problem while I lived in apartment. I
bought a bag of river rocks from Lowes and "sprinkled" them on the top
of the soil in the planters. The squirrels, never bothered them again

Old 14-04-2005, 05:31 PM
me

Susan Hogarth wrote:
Heya, all

My mother is having fits because after she gave up on having potted
plants on her porch because of squirrel trouble, people have
started to
give her plants (noticing that she didn't have any). Now she feels
obligated to try again.

The squirrel(s) in question gets nuts from a neighbor, then buries
them
in my mother's planters, tearing up the plants in the process.

Any suggestions?

- Susan

I use a dash (or seven) of cayenne pepper. It also works in bird
feeders. The pepper does not bother birds, but keeps the grey acrobats
out.

http://www.ehow.com/tips_74.html

YVVMV depending on how much of the pepper washes away with rain and
watering. My experience is that the squirrels learn to avoid those (in
my case window boxes) plantings

Old 16-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Baine Carruthers

Try some permatil. If ole bushytail gets past that, you'll know he didn't
go away unscathed.

--
Baine

Old 19-04-2005, 05:55 PM

On 2005-04-16, Baine Carruthers wrote:
Try some permatil. If ole bushytail gets past that, you'll know he didn't
go away unscathed.

It does work. If you don't cover the dirt they will still dig some, but
much less. Them and the river rock are interesting methods. The river
rocks could be more easily salvaged for reuse when repotting since they
are larger and easier to screen out.

is a garbage address.