Old 25-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Kira Dirlik

Default Newspapers as mulch

Hello All,
I have read and know some folks who add shredded newspapers to
their compost piles, and who lay sheets of it under leaves, to prevent
weeds from growing, and then dig it in when it disintegrates.
My question deals with the ink. Does ink (say from the N&O and
the Chatham Record) have chemicals, lead, etc. in it, and would it be
really bad to use it in a veggie garden?
I think I recall the Independent uses soy-based inks, but would
it also contain other elements that would be bad?
Thanks.
Kira
Old 25-05-2005, 01:11 AM

On Tue, 24 May 2005 22:48:12 GMT in Kira Dirlik !! wrote:
Hello All,
I have read and know some folks who add shredded newspapers to
their compost piles, and who lay sheets of it under leaves, to prevent
weeds from growing, and then dig it in when it disintegrates.
My question deals with the ink. Does ink (say from the N&O and
the Chatham Record) have chemicals, lead, etc. in it, and would it be
really bad to use it in a veggie garden?
I think I recall the Independent uses soy-based inks, but would
it also contain other elements that would be bad?

As memory serves the nuisance and disturber switched to
a soy based ink back in the 90s.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 25-05-2005, 05:35 AM
Dick Adams

Kira Dirlik !! wrote:

I have read and know some folks who add shredded newspapers to
their compost piles, and who lay sheets of it under leaves, to prevent
weeds from growing, and then dig it in when it disintegrates.

My question deals with the ink. Does ink (say from the N&O and
the Chatham Record) have chemicals, lead, etc. in it, and would it
be really bad to use it in a veggie garden?

I think I recall the Independent uses soy-based inks, but would
it also contain other elements that would be bad?

As memory serves the nuisance and disturber switched to
a soy based ink back in the 90s.

And all these years I thought it was the Noise and Disturber.
But no matter what's in it wasn't fit to print anyway and it
should disintegrate rapidly especially if you line your bird
cages with it first.

Dick
Old 25-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Kira Dirlik

Thanks to posters, and to a more informative personal e-mail, for the
info. Seems acrylic would just be extra specks but not do any harm to
the soil or be sucked up by plants.
Kira
Old 26-05-2005, 02:34 AM
Jo

rg...

!! wrote:
Hello All,
I have read and know some folks who add shredded newspapers to
their compost piles, and who lay sheets of it under leaves, to prevent
weeds from growing, and then dig it in when it disintegrates.
My question deals with the ink. Does ink (say from the N&O and
the Chatham Record) have chemicals, lead, etc. in it, and would it be
really bad to use it in a veggie garden?
I think I recall the Independent uses soy-based inks, but would
it also contain other elements that would be bad?

As memory serves the nuisance and disturber switched to
a soy based ink back in the 90s.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

I was wondering what to do with those free papers I got.

Jo

Old 26-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Don S

My question deals with the ink. Does ink (say from the N&O and
the Chatham Record) have chemicals, lead, etc. in it, and would it
be really bad to use it in a veggie garden?

Does anyone know about using office paper, cash register receipts,etc ? I
usually shred my financial papers, and was wondering if I could add it to the
mulch pile.
Old 27-05-2005, 12:45 AM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:19:36 GMT in Don S wrote:
My question deals with the ink. Does ink (say from the N&O and
the Chatham Record) have chemicals, lead, etc. in it, and would it
be really bad to use it in a veggie garden?

Does anyone know about using office paper, cash register receipts,etc ? I
usually shred my financial papers, and was wondering if I could add it to the
mulch pile.

Dunno if things leach out, but it looked like pop was using shredded
documents as mulch this year.

Old 27-05-2005, 06:58 PM

On 2005-05-26, Don S wrote:
My question deals with the ink. Does ink (say from the N&O and
the Chatham Record) have chemicals, lead, etc. in it, and would it
be really bad to use it in a veggie garden?

Does anyone know about using office paper, cash register receipts,etc ? I
usually shred my financial papers, and was wondering if I could add it to the
mulch pile.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitiz...df/elmd084.pdf

I have used small quantities from my own hp printer. The above is one
of their MSDS sheets. Not particularly toxic or mutagenic, but if one
does not know what was used then it is best to probably stay away from
it as a mulch. The inks may contain other harmful substances in the
solvents used.

is a garbage address.

Using Newspapers As A Source Of Brown Material For Composting EVP MAN Gardening 3 13-03-2010 06:54 PM
which newspapers are best for composting? [email protected] United Kingdom 6 10-12-2006 01:58 AM
different newspapers to read, please peter Australia 5 22-05-2005 12:14 AM
Old newspapers can "smother" wild strawberries! Earl Gardening 0 13-01-2005 11:15 PM
Using newspapers for mulch/weed control ? Al Dykes Edible Gardening 9 23-04-2004 11:02 AM