Old 26-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Bluebee

Default How to save my eggplants from rabbits?

I have a samall garden where I have eggplants. I have it fenced by a
bird-netting fencing. The net is firmly stapled to the ground. I noticed
that something was eating my eggplants and sweet pepper plants at the
rate of two per day(even with the net around). I thought it was the
birdy doing it, so I covered it from above with a bird netting. Still I
found my plants eaten. I found a hole at one end of the netting(could
have been there before), so reinforced it. Still someone ate the plants.

One day hubby saw a tiny-rabbit getting in the garden and destroying a
plant and leave!

Someone told us that if we sprayed Habernero peppers water, rabbit will
not bother the plants. But even after spraying peppers water, I have
missing plants!! The rabbit is essentially breaking the plant in two halves!

How do I prevent any further casualties? I have already lost about
12plants!!
Old 26-05-2005, 08:00 PM

Rabbits sniff along the ground. Try putting cyan pepper along the edges
of the garden. This will repel the rabbits. Rabbits also eat from the
bottom up. Deer tend to eat from the top down. Seen any deer tracts??

Bill

Old 26-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Jo

"Bluebee" wrote in message
[...]

I have been using fox urine around my plants.

Jo

Old 26-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Dick Adams

Bluebee wrote:

Someone told us that if we sprayed Habernero peppers water, rabbits
will not bother the plants. But even after spraying peppers water,
I have missing plants!! The rabbit is essentially breaking the plant
in two halves!

How do I prevent any further casualties? I have already lost about
12 plants!!

Sprinkle ground Habenero pepper where the rabbit is entering the garden.
Also sprinkle around the garden and in the garden.

You can set rabbit traps, but do not kill the rabbits for food as many
carry a disease that is killed by the first frost

Old 26-05-2005, 08:11 PM

Bluebee wrote:

One day hubby saw a tiny-rabbit getting in the garden and destroying a
plant and leave!
Someone told us that if we sprayed Habernero peppers water, rabbit will
not bother the plants. But even after spraying peppers water, I have

I've never tried this myself, but I was recently told that
small bottles, full of cotton or rags and then filled with
vinegar, would deter rabbits. (The bottles need to have
openings such that the odor can escape, to deter the rabbits.)

As I said, I haven't tried it but it sounds logical.

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

Old 26-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Bluebee

Jo wrote:
"Bluebee" wrote in message

[...]

Where do you get the fox urine? Also, will it be re-sprinkled after the
rain?
Old 26-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Siouxzi

I use dog hair. It's a lot easier to get than running around and
trying to hold that cup under the fox.

Just offer to brush your friend's dog a few times with an undercoat
rake or comb. You need a dog with a double coat, whose undercoat is
now shedding. Something like a collie, or German Shepherd, or Saint
Bernard, Chow, or Akita. Or in my case, a Kangal Dog.

Spread handfuls around, spray with water to flatten, and it will stick
all summer. All I can say is, our neighborhood is a haven for gangs of
rabbits, and they stay out of our veggie gardens.

Cheers
Sue

Old 27-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Jo

"Bluebee" wrote in message
Jo wrote:
"Bluebee" wrote in message

[...]

I don't have to sprinkle after rain, it is good for a month. I got mine
discounted on eBay through Ace Hardware because I wanted a bunch of it.

I also order most of my garden products from this place:
http://www.biconet.com/critter/foxPowder.html

I got it recommended to me last year from someone in the group and have
found it an excellent alternative to chemicals.

Jo

Old 27-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Jo

"Siouxzi" wrote in message
I use dog hair. It's a lot easier to get than running around and
trying to hold that cup under the fox.

Just offer to brush your friend's dog a few times with an undercoat
rake or comb. You need a dog with a double coat, whose undercoat is
now shedding. Something like a collie, or German Shepherd, or Saint
Bernard, Chow, or Akita. Or in my case, a Kangal Dog.

Spread handfuls around, spray with water to flatten, and it will stick
all summer. All I can say is, our neighborhood is a haven for gangs of
rabbits, and they stay out of our veggie gardens.

Cheers
Sue

LOL Me visualizing the cup! My dogs have short hair, but good to know
this.
Our neighborhood is rabbit heaven as well, but I found out that the people
that used to breed and sell at the fairgrounds lived two houses over and
set them "free" after sales were no longer allowed for them there.

Jo

Old 27-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Jo

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Bluebee wrote:

Someone told us that if we sprayed Habernero peppers water, rabbits
will not bother the plants. But even after spraying peppers water,
I have missing plants!! The rabbit is essentially breaking the plant
in two halves!

How do I prevent any further casualties? I have already lost about
12 plants!!

Sprinkle ground Habenero pepper where the rabbit is entering the garden.
Also sprinkle around the garden and in the garden.

You can set rabbit traps, but do not kill the rabbits for food as many
carry a disease that is killed by the first frost

Does Cayenne work as well?

Jo

Old 27-05-2005, 03:26 AM
Don S

I don't know about the various pepper solutions that have been offered, but I
have had good luck with the rigid "rabbit fencing" sold at the big box stores.
The horizontal runs of wire are closer together at the bottom of the fence,
and are close enough together to keep out rabbits. I use the green fence
poles to hold it up.
Old 27-05-2005, 06:31 AM
Dick Adams

Jo wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote:
Bluebee wrote:

Someone told us that if we sprayed Habernero peppers water, rabbits
will not bother the plants. But even after spraying peppers water,
I have missing plants!! The rabbit is essentially breaking the plant
in two halves!

How do I prevent any further casualties? I have already lost about
12 plants!!

Sprinkle ground Habenero pepper where the rabbit is entering the garden.
Also sprinkle around the garden and in the garden.

Does Cayenne work as well?

It should. I use Habenero because just planting them around a garden
wards off rabbits and deer. Plus I had a bumper crop two years ago
and have about 3 lbs of ground Habenero pepper.

Dick
Old 27-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Dwayne

The first time I planted cabbage, I lost it all to rabbits, put up a fence
and replanted. The next year someone told me to plant garlic in and around
the cabbage. I started and ended the row with a clove of garlic, and put a
clove between each plant. I had a double surprise. No rabbit damage at
all, and harvested garlic in the fall. I have done that now for the last 3
times I plant cabbage, broccoloi, etc and experienced no rabbit damage.

Dwayne

Old 27-05-2005, 06:32 PM

On 2005-05-26, Bluebee wrote:
[...]

I have never had rabbits eat eggplants, but they do like beans and peas.
So I use 1 inch mesh chicken wire two feet tall to protect them. I
stake out the 4 corners. I secure the wire to one stake and run around
all 4 pulling it as taut as possible. Then I zigzag additonal stakes to
tighten up the wire and make sure it comes in contact with the ground in
all places. There is a 2 inche mesh chicken wire but young rabbits
would easily go thru it so make sure you buy the stiffer 1 inch mesh.

is a garbage address.
Old 27-05-2005, 06:42 PM

On 2005-05-27, Don S wrote:
I don't know about the various pepper solutions that have been offered, but I
have had good luck with the rigid "rabbit fencing" sold at the big box stores.
The horizontal runs of wire are closer together at the bottom of the fence,
and are close enough together to keep out rabbits. I use the green fence
poles to hold it up.

I am not sure if I have ever seen rabbit fencing, but I testify to the
chicken wire 2 feet tall and 1 inch mesh. It lasts about 5 years if you
roll it back up and store it out of the rain when not needed.

I will see if I can find the rabbit fencing. I would be interested in
the unit cost, longetivity and ease of use. Unrolling 50 feet of
chicken wire requires abit of care since rolling it up makes it act like
a weak spring.

is a garbage address.