Old 13-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Susan Hogarth

Default I'm a failure at bonsai

I've always been fascinated by bonsai, and I adore boxwood and have
always thought they'd be great for bonsai as they have small leaves and
are slow-growing. So a few months ago when I ran into a bonasai boxwood
at Lowe's I snapped it up. I placed it on my kitchen counter where it
gets cheerful morning light and I can remember to water it every day
(I'm perfect for those plants where it says 'allow to dry out between
watering'; unfortunately bonsai is not one of those!) I thought the
little tree was adorable, but I did miss the boxwood-smell (this one
doesn't have it, sadly), so I added another potted boxwood from a guy
selling them at the farmer's market - it was a yearling intended for
shrubbery, but for now it's also a houseplant. My husband, who because
of a few unfortunate events in our early marriage thinks I am a
plant-murderer, said shocking things to the little fellows about their
immanenet demise from thirst and made me glad that plants -can't-
understand language.

Anyway.

What has happened is that now the teeny shrub designated to be bonsai
has sent out an exuberant new flush of growth. Of course my
hard-hearted husband calls it the 'dying gasp', but this is a *happy*
shrub, I know that. My problem now is that I *know* I should trim off
most or all of the new growth (or at least some of the old growth to
compensate), but I don't seem to find myself having the heart for it. I
actually can't take the scissors to the little thing. And of course I
can't leave it in the itty-bitty bonsai pot if I'm encouraging it to
put out new leaves and limbs... so I guess I'm about to break down and
repot it.

So, short-story-long, I spent $10 to get a bitty little stunted boxwood
that doesn't even have the proper smell, when right next to it I have a
just-as-nice, smelly one that's twice the size and cost me $5. Oh, and
I now have a useless little pot and need to buy another for this little
guy.

So much for my failed experiment with bonsai!

- Susan

Old 14-06-2005, 12:54 AM
Dwayne

You are only a failure if you think so. I make mistakes with my canning and
I give them away and get compliments for my mistakes. If yours doesn't look
like a bonsai tree, rename it a kamikaze tree. Tell everyone that is what
it is, and since they have never seen one, they wont know.

Dwayne

ups.com...