Old 27-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Mister Sensitive

Default Transplant or Soil Over?

I've got to raise the soil level in our front beds about 6", as part of a
drystack stone project. We have existing plants (Rhododendrons, Azaleas,
Chinese Privet, Russian Oive, Rosemary) that we'd love to keep. I assume 6"
is too much to just heap extra soil over them and assume they'll take the
hint. Alternatively, we'd have to cut the root structure out of the soil and
elevate them.

Does this make sense? or should I consider just putting the extra 6" of soil
down? Are some more tolerant of extra soil and/or transplanting?

Thanks,

Mr. Sensitive

Old 27-06-2005, 03:42 PM
tomatolord

Transplant and in the fall not now

alternative 1

Advertise free plants you dig and have someone else dig them out for you.

alternative 2

Pile the dirt in and see if the plants live.

link.net...

Old 27-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Anne Lurie

If possible, you might put a few inches of soil at a time around the Rhodies
& Azaleas, at least. I think their root systems are very shallow, so more
dirt may be a good thing. (I know here in the sandy section of the
Triangle, I just keep piling mulch around my azaleas, since loosening up the
soil around the plants too much is hard on the roots.)

Keep in mind that any transplanting may be a shock to the plants. As a
during the stressful heat of the summer.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 27-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Mister Sensitive

Anne,

You and the T-Lord offer sage advice. My problem (which stems from wanting
to embark quickly on projects that would be better served from a multi-month
plan) is that I need to backfill dirt behind the dry stack stone wall sooner
rather than later, to ensure stability and give me the excuse to embark on
the next project (building the woodshed). If I add a couple inches of dirt
at a time, the roadies will essentially be at a low point of drainage, at
least within the bed. I understood they like well drained soil. Of course,
the whole bed is elevated by about a foot from the prevailing terrain, so
perhaps drainage is no big deal.

I am tempted to go the route you suggest and T-Lord quasi-endorsed
alternative #2. Plus, it's less work for Mr. and Ms. Sensitive.

If I managed to not kill everything in sight, I'll post some pix in a few
months.

-Sensitivo

om...

Old 06-07-2005, 05:40 PM

On 2005-06-27, Mister Sensitive wrote:
Anne,

You and the T-Lord offer sage advice. My problem (which stems from wanting
to embark quickly on projects that would be better served from a multi-month
plan) is that I need to backfill dirt behind the dry stack stone wall sooner
rather than later, to ensure stability and give me the excuse to embark on
the next project (building the woodshed). If I add a couple inches of dirt
at a time, the roadies will essentially be at a low point of drainage, at
least within the bed. I understood they like well drained soil. Of course,
the whole bed is elevated by about a foot from the prevailing terrain, so
perhaps drainage is no big deal.

This is probably too late, but I was out of town last week. You could
rig a simple drain with a 4 inch diameter plumbing drain pipe. run it
from the drystack stone edge to the center most low point. Put a pile
of gravel on it where it touches the drystack stone then over fill with
dirt. YOu could also put some gravel on the other end also just to keep
silt out of the pipe.

Essentially this pipe gives you a tunnel under the dirt you are adding,.
I am tempted to go the route you suggest and T-Lord quasi-endorsed
alternative #2. Plus, it's less work for Mr. and Ms. Sensitive.

If I managed to not kill everything in sight, I'll post some pix in a few
months.

-Sensitivo

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
om...
[...]

is a garbage address.

NOW OVER 20 MILLION CARDS AVA FROM OVER 500 SELLERS all in checklist order krs4b Ponds 0 25-12-2007 09:16 PM
Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
Emergency transplant of bulbs Robert Gray Gardening 8 09-03-2003 02:44 PM
can i transplant? tony United Kingdom 4 10-12-2002 08:07 PM
Transplant a flowering plant sevendwarfs United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 09:10 PM