Old 04-07-2005, 06:37 PM
ElectricLandlady

Default when to cut back crepe myrtles?

I bought two 8 foot B&B crepe myrtles several weeks ago, and for
various reasons they didn't get put in the ground, and despite
frequent watering they dried up and died. Or so I thought...
Not one to give up so easily, I kept watering them and occationally
put some composted manure on top of the burlap, and eventually they
are showing some life again at the top branches.

I figure that if they stay alive, I'm going to have to really prune
them down low eventually to get rid of the dead branches and let them
establish a reasonable shape. When is a good time to do this? Late
fall? Or should I wait until Feb/Mar or so...?

-- David
Old 04-07-2005, 09:38 PM
bud

Why in the world did you buy Crepe Myrtles if you are going to prune them
down low. We have a saying around here for people that love to prune these
beauties... Crepe Murder. Let them grow and put them in a spot where they
can reach their magestic height and beauty. Just drive down Glenwood Ave
from Crabtree Mall to Wade Ave. to see the full beauty these fine trees..
not bushes.. can achieve.

news

Old 04-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Anne Lurie

Oh, Bud, be a sport! -- David did not say he *intended* to prune the Crepe
Myrtles low, just that he did not get them planted when he had intended
o -- and I bet he is not the only one who has ever found himself in that
situation!

David, for starters, I'd get them in the ground -- after all, you will
have to water them whether you plant them or not! Why don't you ask for
advice where you purchased them? (As long as you make it clear you don't
blame the trees' condition on the garden center.)

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

ink.net...

Old 05-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Raleighgirl

I agree with Bud, crepe rape is brutal and unnecessary. Plant
them, see how they do before you start planning on pruning.
Raleighgirl
ink.net...

Old 05-07-2005, 02:33 AM
ElectricLandlady

Ann, thank you for actually reading my post before commenting (unlike
others who maybe have a habit to talk without listening).
Fortunately for price, but unfortunately for follow-up/advice, I
bought them at Broadwells in Angier. I'm hoping an expert gardener in
the group could help....

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:45:31 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

Oh, Bud, be a sport! -- David did not say he *intended* to prune the Crepe
Myrtles low, just that he did not get them planted when he had intended
o -- and I bet he is not the only one who has ever found himself in that
situation!

David, for starters, I'd get them in the ground -- after all, you will
have to water them whether you plant them or not! Why don't you ask for
advice where you purchased them? (As long as you make it clear you don't
blame the trees' condition on the garden center.)

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

link.net...

Old 05-07-2005, 08:15 PM
C G

ElectricLandlady wrote:

Ann, thank you for actually reading my post before commenting (unlike
others who maybe have a habit to talk without listening).
Fortunately for price, but unfortunately for follow-up/advice, I
bought them at Broadwells in Angier. I'm hoping an expert gardener in
the group could help....

You asked for help and now you're giving attitude to those who have
offered it? It doesn't take an "expert gardener" to answer your post.
As others have said, get them in the ground. You didn't say if you've
already done this or not. If there are some branches that you know are
dead, prune them now. If you think they are not dead, leave them for a
few months. If they don't send out leaves within a month or two, they
are dead.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:44 PM

On 2005-07-04, ElectricLandlady wrote:

I bought two 8 foot B&B crepe myrtles several weeks ago, and for
various reasons they didn't get put in the ground, and despite
frequent watering they dried up and died. Or so I thought...
Not one to give up so easily, I kept watering them and occationally
put some composted manure on top of the burlap, and eventually they
are showing some life again at the top branches.

I figure that if they stay alive, I'm going to have to really prune
them down low eventually to get rid of the dead branches and let them
establish a reasonable shape. When is a good time to do this? Late
fall? Or should I wait until Feb/Mar or so...?

It sounds like you don't really know what is dead and what is alive
now. If they don't have much leaves then they are not losing water.
Just let them grow as they are and remove only the dead stuff when you
are sure it is dead. If they have not leaved out by September then you
can assume those limbs are dead.
-- David

is a garbage address.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:45 PM

On 2005-07-04, Anne Lurie wrote:
Oh, Bud, be a sport! -- David did not say he *intended* to prune the Crepe
Myrtles low, just that he did not get them planted when he had intended
o -- and I bet he is not the only one who has ever found himself in that
situation!

David, for starters, I'd get them in the ground -- after all, you will

I missed the part about not being planted yet. Yes, get them in the
ground!!!! Worry about pruning in September when you will know what is
dead and what is alive.

have to water them whether you plant them or not! Why don't you ask for
advice where you purchased them? (As long as you make it clear you don't
blame the trees' condition on the garden center.)

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

ink.net...

Old 06-07-2005, 05:53 PM

On 2005-07-05, ElectricLandlady wrote:
Ann, thank you for actually reading my post before commenting (unlike
others who maybe have a habit to talk without listening).
Fortunately for price, but unfortunately for follow-up/advice, I

This is USENET if you want help you gotta sometimes listen to opinions
the may be a bit testy.

But the consensus from everyone that posted is plant, water, and wait.

EXPERT? Chuckle. Ex means former spurt is just a drip under pressure
so an expert is just a former drip under pressure. :-)

We all dig in the dirt and get things to grow, but we all make mistakes
and need help too.

Happy gardening. If those Crepe Myrtles are leafing out I think they
will live just fine assuming you water them. Remember deep slow water
once per week not shallow water every day.

wrote:

Oh, Bud, be a sport! -- David did not say he *intended* to prune the Crepe
Myrtles low, just that he did not get them planted when he had intended
o -- and I bet he is not the only one who has ever found himself in that
situation!

David, for starters, I'd get them in the ground -- after all, you will
have to water them whether you plant them or not! Why don't you ask for
advice where you purchased them? (As long as you make it clear you don't
blame the trees' condition on the garden center.)

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

hlink.net...

Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Muppet

No we leave that job to my husband... LOL Definate Crepe Murdlerer...
hehehehehhehe

Jo

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
Oh, Bud, be a sport! -- David did not say he *intended* to prune the

Crepe
Myrtles low, just that he did not get them planted when he had intended
o -- and I bet he is not the only one who has ever found himself in

that
situation!

David, for starters, I'd get them in the ground -- after all, you will
have to water them whether you plant them or not! Why don't you ask for
advice where you purchased them? (As long as you make it clear you

don't
blame the trees' condition on the garden center.)

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

ink.net...

Pruning Crepe Myrtles Cindy Gardening 10 03-09-2004 11:54 PM
Japanese Crepe Myrtles RoyDMercer Texas 0 27-06-2004 07:17 PM
Japanese Crepe Myrtles RoyDMercer Lawns 0 27-06-2004 07:17 PM
crepe myrtles heppiechik Gardening 8 19-09-2003 02:02 AM
mini crepe myrtles David J. Bockman Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM