Old 06-07-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Help solve our garden mystery and win.....

.....our everlasting thanks.

(Sorry about that but I really wanted to get your attention)

Something is rooting around in our mulch and digging in our beds and,
in the process, uprooting new plantings and those with shallow roots
and we *really* want to stop it.

Here are the clues/observations:

It happens at night. If we leave before it gets light, we return home
and notice plants laying on their sides. Sometimes, the mulch/dirt is
just pulled away from one side of the roots. Sometimes, as in the case
of a couple of nice Selaginella we planted this season, it's not even
noticeable that it's now sitting *on* the ground rather than with its
roots in a hole *in* the ground until you get down and check.

Whatever is doing this isn't interested in the plants. The roots and
leaves aren't touched. The plants are just the collateral damage of a
hunt for something in the mulch / dirt.

It's not deers. We live in a wooded lot in North Carolina and we have
had more experience with deers than we want to remember. We've had
deers pull a "deer resistant" plant out of its hole only to remember,
"Hey! I don't like this!" and drop it back on the ground. But there's
always a sign they've tasted it. And one of the beds -- with a lot of
hostas in it -- is completely enclosed with a deer netting that is
secured to posts and staked into the ground. On a couple of occasions
when a branch has fallen on the netting and ripped it from the post and
deer have been able to get a head in, they've munched nearby leaves but
not done this kind of disruption to the mulch.

And the mulch *is* disrupted -- it looks like something is rooting
around in it for something. It's something in the mulch. This has
nothing to do with the plant -- it's happened with hostas, a rosemary
plant, summer snapdragons, etc., etc., etc. Only the established
plants are safe.

Since this looking for something in the mulch is happening at night, I
assume whatever it is has a powerful sense of smell that it relies on.
So, after replanting a couple of plants and cursing this critter, I
thought, "I got something for your powerful sense of smell!" I bought
the cheapest big tin of ground black pepper I could find and sprinkled
a mess of it around the edges of some of the most frequently uprooted
plants -- can black pepper hurt plants? -- and along the edge of that
bed with the netting.

So, any thoughts? More importantly, any suggestions on deterring it?

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Doug Kanter

How about setting things up as best you can to get some footprints? Remove
the mulch from an area, flatten the soil with a board, and gently mist it.
Compare the results (if any) with the tracks on a site like this:

http://www.bear-tracker.com/

If it's a normal animal, maybe a Havahart trap is in order. If it's an
abnormal creature, like someone's useless, stinking obnoxious little dog,
then you know what to do, I assume. BAM! :-)

Old 06-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Travis

[...]

Stay up a few hours after dark and keep a flashlight handy and your eyes
peeled.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 07-07-2005, 01:53 AM
David Bockman

wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

Others have mentioned skunks, raccoons, etc. Opposums are also a good bet.
Try scattering some bloodmeal around, that should keep them away. Repeat
regularly and after rain.

email:

http://beyondgardening.com/Albums
Old 07-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Raleighgirl

My guess would be squirrels looking for nuts. We've seen both in
our yard, especially in spring when the plants are new and the
nuts are few. Squirrels bury nuts all over then root them out
when they're hungry. Cats trying to get moles will do this,
too. I'd think a possum or raccoon would dig a larger/deeper
spot. What to do? I don't know. I'd think you could make a
million if you can figure it out.
Raleighgirl

Old 07-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Baine Carruthers

I would tend to stay away from bloodmeal & bonemeal also. I think cottonseed
meal or something from plant sources will lesson the "wildlife" encounters.
I know birdwatchers like to use moth balls to mast their sent when visiting
nest trees. The animals we're talking about are curious by nature,
especially of unusual scents.

One fall about 20 years ago, I planted about 500 tulips in a client's
garden. I was judicious with the bonemeal, careful that each bulb had its
allotment in its perfect position. The next day I came by to do a little
tidying up. To my amazement, every bulb had been dug up and lying close to
its hole. A day's labor for naught. Further investigation revealed
footprints matching the neighbor's Labrador retriever!

--
Baine

Old 07-07-2005, 07:10 PM

On 2005-07-06, wrote:
....our everlasting thanks.

(Sorry about that but I really wanted to get your attention)

Something is rooting around in our mulch and digging in our beds and,
in the process, uprooting new plantings and those with shallow roots
and we *really* want to stop it.

Here are the clues/observations:

It happens at night. If we leave before it gets light, we return home
and notice plants laying on their sides. Sometimes, the mulch/dirt is
just pulled away from one side of the roots. Sometimes, as in the case

Are you sure it is happening at night? You did not enter enough
information. You leave in the dark and when you return the plants are
uprooted. Did you check the plants when you left and are sure they are
still in the ground? You say they are uprooted when you return but do
you return before light or after? If you left and returned in the dark
then something did uproot them at night. If you left in the dark, but
did not check on the plants and returned when it was light then you
don't know if the uprooting happened in the light or dark.

If you left and returned in the dark then it is a possum, raccoon, or
some other night creature. If you left in the dark but did not check
and returned in the light then it is squirrels or a neighbors dog.

Or one of your friends playing a practical joke.

[...]

No ground pepper cannot hurt plants, but red pepper would be better.

Let us know if you do find out.

Thanks.

is a garbage address.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Classon

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
How about setting things up as best you can to get some footprints? Remove
the mulch from an area, flatten the soil with a board, and gently mist it.
Compare the results (if any) with the tracks on a site like this:

http://www.bear-tracker.com/

If it's a normal animal, maybe a Havahart trap is in order. If it's an
abnormal creature, like someone's useless, stinking obnoxious little dog,
then you know what to do, I assume. BAM! :-)

Or a neighbors stinking obnoxious little chickens.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Dana Schultz

Squirrels don't dig at night.
I came out one morning early to find a raccoon digging in my garden. Just
holes. Lucky me. He was not digging up my plants. I would have done more
than chase him away.

The local skunk has been caught in my squirrel trap at least four times and
he doesn't dig up my plants either. He just likes peanut butter!

I vote raccoons.

--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid
. ..

Old 08-07-2005, 12:46 PM

Craig Watts wrote:
What in the world might be living in my bushes or under my
deck that makes a smell like that?

Any young male domestic cats around?

There are a couple of neighbors with outside cats down
the road a bit. I've never had a male cat--is the urine
really pungent enough to confuse with mild skunk smell?

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001