Old 09-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Raleighgirl

Default some veggie garden results

This year when we laid in the squash plants,in an attempt to
deter the squash borers, I covered all stems with a foil collar.
The results? So far, so good. Only 1 plant of 8 has borers so
far altho it may be too early as it seems the borers get really
bad in late July. Did anyone else try anything that has worked?

Our veggie garden is glorious this year! It started out very,
very slow because of the cooler weather I presume. We now have
enough cucumbers to feed the neighborhood! Squash is prolific
and so are the tomytoes. Does anyone else have sungolds? O my,
those are some producing suckers! Last year we had 6 plants and
just quit picking them because there were so many. this year we
planted 2 + 2 others came up from the seeds. We must have 200
of them on the vines already! Omy. Chiles are just starting to
come in- YEA. It's been a GREAT year for our blueberries- I
covered them with fabric netting instead of the bird netting
(cdn't stand to find carcasses) and it's worked VERY well. The
only problem is that the bushes send new shoots through the
netting but o well.

I'd love to hear how others' gardens are doing.
Raleighgirl

Old 09-07-2005, 06:06 PM
?

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:51:04 GMT in m Raleighgirl wrote:

This year opted for containers on the deck instead of a proper garden.
The chiles are starting to come in (Well except for the pots of chiles
brought up from SC thursday a week ago, they've been producing chiles
for a while).
The heirloom chiles from my granddad look surprisingly similar
to a thai chile I picked up while attempting to find habeneros.

The basil has managed to become root bound and the catnip is
going nuts.
Thyme and garlic chives haven't gone quite as nuts.

Unfortunately the japanese beetles have found the basil. I'm going to give
neem oil a try at controlling the little $#@!s before resorting to
liquid sevin (Really don't want to use the liquid sevin as the bees
love the flowers).

In the category of fiddling, I'm trying using one of the pepper plants
as shading for a nobile type dendrobium (orchid). It seems to be doing
pretty good, but not as good as its sibling under flourescents.
I have a few oak trees happily growing in pots on the deck that
seem to be doing better than their siblings planted in the ground,
but then again they were started indoors and their siblings weren't.
What was to be a bog garden for some bog orchids is currently being
taken over by morning glories.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 09-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Daniel B. Martin

Raleighgirl wrote:
I'd love to hear how others' gardens are doing.

It's been a good season, so far. We are flooded with squash, cukes,
and broad beans. The surplus has been given to friends and neighbors.
We've harvested a few tomatoes and the vines are loaded with
green fruit. We've had enough basil to enjoy a couple of Pasta with
Pesto dinners.

Daniel B. Martin
Old 10-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Dwayne

If you spray it, maybe you can do it after dark so you wont bother the bees.
You may have to do research on it first, but some sprays are safe to
pollinators if done that way.

Dwayne

rg...