Old 16-07-2005, 02:31 AM
vms

Default HELP: Tomato Disease (Wilt disease?)

I have about eight tomato plants with lots of green tomatoes hanging off
them. But over past two weeks, most of their leaves are turning yellow
with dark spots on them. These yellow leaves eventually dry out. This is
spreading from bottom up and seems to resemble Fusarium Wilt disease
from what I have read. I was not able to find any remedy though.

I have about given up on the plants. Don't see much of a point spraying
something for this few a plants. As a last resort, I thought I would run
the problem by you folks.

If I cannot salvage the plants, I welcome suggestions for what I can do
with the 20 or more green tomatoes.

Thanks.

\vms

Old 16-07-2005, 03:41 PM
ncstockguy

If the green tomatoes are large enough you can always slice them and
fry them. There are several fried green tomato recipes on the web.
They also can be cut up and added to salsa with riper tomatoes and
peppers and cilantro etc.

Old 16-07-2005, 07:10 PM

On 2005-07-16, ncstockguy wrote:
If the green tomatoes are large enough you can always slice them and
fry them. There are several fried green tomato recipes on the web.
They also can be cut up and added to salsa with riper tomatoes and
peppers and cilantro etc.

and you can let them ripen. Some may rot and the flavor may not be as
full as a vine ripened one but it will still be better than the
chemically ripened winter tomotoes. Just put them on a shelf or window
sill that is out of the sun.

is a garbage address.
Old 17-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Peggy O'Grady

It may be tomato blight rather than Fusarium Wilt. Check at your local
garden center for a remedy. If you don't want to try to salvage the plants,
just wait for the tomatoes to ripen and enjoy them. Next year, plant tomato
varieties that are resistant to wilts and diseases. Look for varieties
marked VFN for full protection. Also, plant your tomatoes in a different
area of your garden. Plant rotation can really help prevent some of these
diseases.

Old 18-07-2005, 01:11 PM
tomatolord

yup ya got some type of blight -

These blights are soil born diseases -

To do this year -
You can let the green tomatos ripen on the vine - the blight does not affect
the fruit
If you pick the green fruit put a few into paper bags not the windowsill -
the fruit gives of a gas that will ripen them quicker - DO NOT put in fridge
Pick the leaves that are yellow and dying and remove them from the garden DO
NOT compost
The plant will die there is nothing to do to reverse the disease

go buy some more plants to get a fall crop going.

Next year.....

Either plant your tomatos in a different part of the garden - including non
potato areas
or
solarize the soil - white plastic over the garden for 6 months to kill the
diseases
or
Plant disease resistant plants - remember they are resistant so they may
still get blights
or
Do what I do and put a layer of leaf mulch down - about 3 inches DO NOT till
in - and plant directly into the leaf mulch - I plant in the same spot each
year and do not plant disease resistant plants and mine are just fine.

Also very very important do NOT overhead water - water only the roots -
these diseases are in the soil so when water splashes onto the plant it
transfers the disease from the soil to the leaves and tomatos do not like
wet leaves.

With my leaf mulch system even if it does rain you are splashing "new" soil
onto the plants the diseases are buried 3 inches down -

remember paper bags for the green tomatos - you may want to leave a few out
of the bars or they will all ripen at once in the bags

Good luck

tomatolord

tomato wilt gritz Edible Gardening 12 01-07-2004 06:02 PM
tomato wilt woes Siouxzi North Carolina 15 29-08-2003 11:03 PM
TOMATO WILT! gritz Plant Science 1 13-06-2003 03:44 PM
tomato plant wilt Sean Gardening 6 12-05-2003 03:44 AM
Tomato wilt/virus??? Ian Mitchell Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM