Old 21-07-2005, 09:50 PM
travelinmatt

Default cant hurt to have an expert resource

Take the information for what it is worth and don't worry that a
company sent it out.

1. If you want to prevent grubs, now is the time to appy the products
to do so. It helps with the environment because treating now with the
specific product for grubs is a lot less toxic than treating after they
are already doing damage to the turf and the lawn company has to use a
general pest control that kills a lot more insects including the
beneficial ones.

2. Webworms are all over the south. Rather than let them do any further
damage to very expensive trees in your landscape, get them sprayed.
There are a lot of very environmentally responsible ways to treat the
infestations. Just treat them so you don't lose your investments.

3. Fall is fast approaching. The best time to seed a good local blend
of fescue varieties. If you have shady, thin, bare, or existing fescue
areas then it will be time to seed in September. It's not cheap or easy
work so you should start to prepare the soil for better germination
rates. Yes I should use spellcheck more.

4. A soil test from a local reputable lawn company or extension office
will check for your pH. If the soil pH is too hi or low then the plant
investments in your landscape including your turfgrass will not be able
to absorb the correct nutrients it needs to remain healthy. If you have
had a pH test with bad results then late summer heat will be that much
worse on your plants. Amendments to the soil the correct pH or soil
structure will go a long way from now through winter to prevent more
damage.

We care about everyones environment and want to be a reliable resource
for anyone anywhere. We are a locally owned company and only treat
lawns in the Greater Oklahoma City Metro area but are happy to answer
questions from anywhere. We have been to a lot of conferences around
the country and have made friends with many reputable companies. Maybe
we can help you find what you are looking for. We don't want to spam.
We just want to help make our environment look good with professionals
doing the work correctly.

Old 21-07-2005, 11:52 PM
tomatolord

We don't want to spam.
We just want to help make our environment look good with professionals
doing the work correctly."

Well then dont.

However the advice that you have does not apply to here in the Raleigh area.

Fall is almost 3 months away here I put in my lawns in late Oct when the
rains are consistent and the days are nice....

Webworms were 2 months ago here so to treat now would be useless they are
already gone.

so........

I dont get it?

Tomatolord

oups.com...

Old 22-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Don S

In article , "tomatolord" wrote:

Fall is almost 3 months away here I put in my lawns in late Oct when the
rains are consistent and the days are nice....

From what I have read, late October is usually regarded as too late for
seeding fescue, for the Triangle area.

Here's a planting chart from NCSU:
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/urban/horticultu...ns/table4.html

I have always used as Oct 1 as the last day to plant fescue.
Old 22-07-2005, 10:18 PM

On 2005-07-22, Don S wrote:
In article , "tomatolord" wrote:

Fall is almost 3 months away here I put in my lawns in late Oct when the
rains are consistent and the days are nice....

From what I have read, late October is usually regarded as too late for
seeding fescue, for the Triangle area.

Here's a planting chart from NCSU:
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/urban/horticultu...ns/table4.html

I have always used as Oct 1 as the last day to plant fescue.

I have not seen that chart, but I had always heard Sept 15-Oct 15 for
the RTP area. The chart says that is the dates for the coastal plain,
but we are on the eastern edge of the piedmont. Considering that we are
very close to the coastal plain tells me that some people may be able
to wait.

http://www.enr.state.nc.us/attractio.../piedmont.html

And the piedmont covers a large area to the west.

I think here you have to consider several factors. How much you want to
water is one. The later you wait the less you will have to water, BUT
if you have lots of trees you have to consider WHEN the leaves are going
to fall so waiting until OCT may not be feasible. If you are in an open
area with no worry of many fallen leaves then you can probably wait
until late october and hope there is not an early cold snap and you
would have to water less.

is a garbage address.
Old 22-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Baine Carruthers

For our tall fescue, there's really no such thing as "too late" in the fall
or winter for seeding. Especially if you have nothing. December is far
better than spring seeding. There's no comparison. The chart mentioned is
the optimum time and that will vary if you are planting under a canopy,
cause mid October seeding under trees will put your new seedings at risk
during the Nov raking.
--
Baine

Old 23-07-2005, 04:07 PM
tomatolord

My grass reseeding is based on Watering - I live on a well so I am not about
to have my sprinkler run everyday.

Also I find that with a good rain coming the cooler days seem to do better
for the grass seedlings.

tomatolord